Chapter 24

We have been out of the safe house for two months now and life could not be better. Jason took the job under Sergeant Lindsay's command and he was loving it so far. I was working as a secretary for a local business. Kenna goes to preschool everyday and absolutely loves it. She is learning so much and is so smart. We have been meeting with Cassie, the social worker, and we only had two more meetings left with her.

I just got off work and picked up Kenna from preschool. We went to the store to get stuff for dinner then headed home. We installed an alarm system at the house as soon as we got settled in. It's just a precaution, and it reassures me that we will be safer. I was putting groceries away when Jason got home. Kenna ran up to him and gave him a big hug like she did everyday. He picked her up and walked into the kitchen and pecked me on the cheek.

"Hey, let's go out tonight. You want to? We can go have a nice dinner, just me and you." He said.

"Okay!" I said as a small smile covered my face. "I'll call Carter and see if he wants to hang out with Kenna for a while."

"Already did." He said. "Now go get dressed."

"Yes. sir." I saluted as I laughed and headed upstairs to change. I decided to wear a long red dress with an open back. I curled my hair and did my makeup. I grabbed my heels and I was ready to go. I came down the stairs and Jason was staring at me. He was wearing a nice button up shirt with dark jeans.

"What? Is there something on my face?" I asked.

"You look beautiful." He said. I felt butterflies in my stomach. He still makes me feel so giddy every time even after being together for so long. Carter walked in the door and patted Jason on the back.

"You're a lucky man." He said. Jason smiled in response.

"Carter, Kenna has already had a bath and she needs to be put to bed at 8:30. Call me if you need anything okay?" I said.

"Okay, we'll be just fine right Kenna?" He said,

"Right!" She yelled. Jason and I kissed her on the forehead and told her we loved her.

"I Love you!" she said before we walked out the door.

We headed to the restaurant and once we were seated, Jason held my hand across the table. We chatted throughout dinner and I had a really nice time. It was expensive, but it was worth it. We both needed a night out. Life had been pretty crazy lately.

We were driving back home and Jason took a wrong turn.

"Where are you going?" I asked.

"You'll see." He said with a smile on his face.

"Why are you smiling like that? You're scaring me." I said. He simply laced his fingers through mine and rubbed my hand with his thumb. We pulled up to a house. It was the first safe house we were in together.

"What are we doing here?" I asked.

"I wanted to come back here." He said.

"Why?" I asked. He simply shrugged in response and took my hand to lead me inside. A mixture of feelings came rushing back.

"The living room looks so empty without Kenna's toys all over the floor." I laughed.

"Yeah." Jason said with a chuckle.

He grabbed my other hand and stood in front of me. "Maddie, we have been through so much together. More than most couples have. I brought you back here to show you that you and I can make it through anything as long as we're together." He got down on one knee and tears came to my eyes as I realized what he was doing. He pulled out a ring and said," Will you marry me?"

"Yes!" I said through the tears. He slipped the ring on my finger and kissed me. He kissed me so passionately that it felt like the first time he ever kissed me. I pulled away and rested my forehead on his. "I love you." I said.

"I love you too." He said and he continued kissing me.

The End