Chapter 23

The next day, Jason was on the phone with the social worker trying to find out what he needed to do to keep Kenna. He wanted to be alone while he made the phone call and I was not so patiently waiting outside his room. He came out and looked flustered.

"Hey, how did it go?" I asked.

"Well, I get to keep Kenna." He said as a smile covered his face.

"That's great!" I said as I gave him a hug.

"But" He started. I pulled away and the excitement I felt started to disappear. "There are a couple of things we have to do in order to have full custody of her."

"Like what?"

"They have to inspect my house and make sure it is a safe place for her, I'll have meetings with them so they can make sure she is being properly taken care of, and there is one other thing." He looked nervous which was making me nervous.

"What's the other thing?" I asked.

"Kenna and I would really love it if you would come live with us." He said.

"Really?" I asked as I started to tear up.

"Yeah, Kenna loves you and needs a mother figure to look up to and us having a stable relationship will help us keep custody of Kenna." He explained.

"You're sure about this? I don't want you to feel obligated to help me out. I know I told you I didn't have anywhere to go, but I will be fine on my own."

"I'm sure." He paused. "I love you."

"I love you too." I said as I wrapped my arms around him and pulled him into a kiss.

That evening, Sergeant Lindsay showed up with Officer Sharp and helped us load our stuff. We reached Jason's house around seven o'clock. His house was really nice. He showed me around and asked me to put Kenna to bed so that we could unload our things. I got Kenna ready for bed and laid her down. She was so exhausted that it didn't take her long to fall asleep. I headed downstairs to help Jason. Sergeant Lindsay was helping us move boxes into the house. We couldn't take very much stuff to the safehouses, so it didn't take us very long to unload all of our things.

"Thank you for everything you have done for us." I told Sergeant Lindsay. "It really means a lot."

"I'm just doing my job. Jason, we could use someone like you on the force. Have you ever thought about becoming a cop?" She asked.

"I don't know." He replied.

"Well, you did an impressive job being undercover for us. If you ever need a job, there will be a spot for you."

"Thank you. I'll keep that in mind." He replied before he went to finish unpacking boxes.

"Do you have my number?" She turned to me.

"Yep." I replied.

"Call anytime okay?"

"Okay. Thanks again for all your help."

She gave me a small nod and left. I walked over to Jason and hugged him from behind. "Thank you. For everything." I said. He turned around and kissed me on top of my head before hugging me back. After a while of just hugging, he said, "I love you."

Every time he said that my heart flutters and I can't wipe the smile off my face. "I love you too." I replied.