Training and Birthdays

I walked down to the training room where the others were. the woman that was at my door was there too.

"For those who don't know, I'm Black Canary," she said glancing at me. "I'll be mentoring your training. Today will be a bit easy, just seeing how well you fight WITHOUT powers. You can't always rely on those. While powers are a great source to get you out of trouble, I can't go screaming at every pick pocket I see. Teams will be, Kaldur and Superboy, M'gann and Robin, Wally and Nico. Wally and Nico will go first."

Wally got into a very poor fight stance while I stayed stationary, hands tucked inside my pockets, "Nico, you must participate in this," Canary spoke.

I sighed and rolled my eyes, bringing my hands up, "Don't worry I'll go easy on you," Wally told me with a cocky smirk.

I rolled my eyes again as he came at me with a poor right hook. I grabbed his arm and judo flipped him over my shoulder. He hit the ground hard on his back and let out a groan. I stood over him and he attempted to sweep out my feet. I dodged his attack, slid on the floor and put him in a headlock, he wasn't going anywhere. He hit my arm three times and I let go, standing you and walking out of the ring as Wally coughed for breath.

"Nico, where'd you learn to fight like that?" Canary asked clearly impressed.

I stayed silent as I twisted my skull ring under their confused and shocked stares, "Come on, man! Teach me your ways!" Wally cried getting up from the ground.

I continued not to speak and looked away from them, "Moving on," Canary said. Glancing at me.

M'gann and Robin went next. Kaldur and Wally were talking as they observed, "Yeah my mom wants to go out for dinner for her birthday, so that's a whole thing."

"Hope you have fun with that," Kaldur said to him.

"Yeah, but the restaurants she likes aren't always the best."

Robin beat M'gann then walked over, "Birthday?" M'gann asked. "I love birthdays!"

Wally was about to make a flirty remark but Canary spoke first when walking over, "Whose birthday?"

"My mom's," Wally spoke a bit sheepishly.

"Hey, Nico," Robin called. "How bout you? When's your birthday?"

I shrugged, "I don't remember."

"How can you not remember your birthday?" Wally scoffed.

I rolled my eyes at him, "Not everyone gets your luxurious life, West. Doesn't matter anyway, I haven't celebrated my birthday in years. It's just another day of the month, wake up, face the day, go to sleep, move on. I don't really care."

"Geez man, how rough was your life?" Robin stared at me.

"Not really your concern," I glared before walking away.

Canary POV

"Not everyone gets your luxurious life, West. Doesn't matter anyway, I haven't celebrated my birthday in years. It's just another day of the month, wake up, face the day, go to sleep, move on. I don't really care," Nico spoke almost emotionlessly.

I couldn't help but pity the boy. He's seen horrors that I don't think I could imagine. He seems to not have anyone that cares for him, so he won't let anyone in, putting him in this situation isn't the greatest idea for him either.

"Geez man," Robin spoke breaking my train of thought. "How rough was your life?"

"Not really your concern," he glared before walking away.

"Poor Nico," I heard M'gann whisper. "Such a rough life."

"M'gann?" I asked turning to the Martian.

"Sorry!" She cried. "I didn't mean to read him! It's just, his emotions are out of balance so his thoughts are very loud. His thoughts say names on repeat, and how much he misses them. He makes it seem like they're all dead."

"You pick up anything else, sweet cheeks?" Wally asked.

"Not really, he's got very high walls around his mind. Just when he gets angry or when his thoughts are very loud."

I stared in the direction of where Nico walked off, wondering who this boy was.