Chapter 2

(edited)

Recap:

He grabbed my hand and we began the 30-minute walk to my house. It was a little strange that he didn't have a car or something, but I didn't question it.

I dreaded taking every step that led me closer to my inevitable confrontation with my father. Since this is for school, it will be okay, right? I tried to reason with myself. Yes. He values my education. He will understand. Please have him understand.

We, unfortunately, are now standing in front of my step fathers mansion. I grabbed the key from my back pocket and open the door slowly.

I noticed he was sitting on the couch watching some type of sport then he looked up at Conlan and me, putting on the facade created for our house guests.

"Amanda? Who is this boy, and why is he in my house?"

Conlan's P.O.V

Amanda's father looked her, expecting words to form from her mouth. Doesn't he know his daughter is mute? His rare black eyes shot eyes cold daggers at her, while still maintaining an obvious facade created for guests.

"We have to do a school project," His eyes now stared at mine intently. "sir,"

His body language recovered, from its previous intimidating state, into a relaxed, welcoming one. The smile playing in her fathers straight, lined lips were forced, which shows he doesn't smile very often. Come to think of it, I've never seen Amanda smile either. She barely responds to anyone unless it's a teacher.

"Well, why didn't you say so sweetheart?" His endearment was obviously insincere. I could already tell I didn't like this man. Amanda nodded her head in response and began to head the way, I could only assume, was towards her bedroom.

The pink surrounding the room did not suit the beauty in front of me. Since they just moved here, they probably haven't painted it yet.

Her bed was neatly made, and the room, perfectly clean. Almost like it hasn't been touched at all. Everything was very bland and there were no personal items out and about. Only the essentials and maybe even less than that.

"Your room is very..." I paused, trying to think of a polite way of describing it. "Pink,"

She smiled lightly at my comment before sitting down on the squeaky chair and getting right down to business. I walked to her desk and opened a drawer to grab a pencil, but noticed that it was empty.

I raised an eyebrow at her, but instead of telling me why there was nothing there, she handed me a pencil from her bag and started writing her name on our poster. I shrugged it off, not really thinking much of it.

"So, the American Revolution," She nodded her head slowly up and down. "What happens exactly?" I asked, lying about my knowledge just to see her smile. The right side of her lip curled upwards slightly, making me purr inaudibly. I loved seeing her happy. "We should probably know that first," She shrugged as I pulled out my smartphone to research.

I went to trustworthy google and looked up "The American Revolution". Of course one of the first things to pop up was "Wikipedia". Thank the lord for this site!

I cleared my throat before attempting to impersonate a proper British accent. "The American Revolution was a political upheaval that took place between 1765 and 1783 during which rebels in Thirteen American Colonies overthrew the authority of the British Crown and founded the United States of America," I started, and watched her reaction as she silently mused at me when I emphasized random words in the definition. "The American Revolution was the result of a series of social, political, and intellectual transformations in American society, government and ways of thinking. Starting in 1765 the Americans rejected the authority of the British Parliament to tax them; protests continued to escalate, as in the Boston Tea Party of 1773, and the British responded by imposing  punitive laws—the INTOLERABLE Acts—on Massachusetts in 1774," I yelled one of the last words, trying my best to "stay in character" as the actors say.