•n i n e

The One With The Baby.

It's been 2 days since Kiana's wedding. What a memorable night that was. The Richardson's- consisting of Kiana, Michael and baby Jackson- are on a family moon in Aruba. How I would kill for a tropical vacation at the moment. But I can't cause there is so much work to be done. I stop working for a moment to stare at the pictures on my table. The amount of pictures has increased since my birthday last year. Which is a week away. Anyway back to the pictures. There's a picture with just my sisters in. My second favorite is the with Naomi, Drake and I. My ultimate favorite is the one with everyone in it. The Richardson's. The Daniels'. And the Smith-Jordans. It was Drake's idea to get a family photograph taken for Christmas.

After staring at the pictures I go back to work as I have to leave at 3 to go pick up Naomi from my house. Since its almost summer, her school only let's them go 3 days a week. So with us being at Drake's house, Bianca watches her while I'm at work.

At 5:30 after a long day at work we make it to Drake's house. Since Drake and I can't seem to get on the same page about living arrangements we alternate ever week or so. I get the groceries out the back and head to the door which is supposed to be open but I see Naomi's wild mane of curls restricting the entryway.

"Nai, what's wrong? I thought I..." I was interrupted by a small voice cooing at my feet. A baby who looks no older than a month old. What the what? A baby?!

"Drake!!"

"He's not home yet." Its then I realize that he's car is not in the driveway. Just then a red convertible mustang goes zooming away from the house. The fuck!

"Baby, put the groceries inside. I'll bring the baby in." She takes the groceries and I take the carseat along with the rest of its luggage. Once inside the house Naomi busied herself with entertaining the baby, while I try get a hold of Drake. After three rings he picks up.

"Hey babe."

"Don't 'Hey babe' me, just get your black behind home as soon as you can." I shout startling Naomi and the baby before hanging up. The baby starts wailing a little, and my mother instincts kick in. I grab the baby girl out her carseat and begin rocking her gently.

"Sorry guys. Nai, go upstairs please."

"But I want to play with the baby."

"Naomi Alyssa Smith. Get your behind up 'em stairs. I ain't finna tell you again."

"Yes ma'am." She says before grabbing her bag and heading upstairs. It's then I hear the door open.

"Kenya."

"In here."

"What is go..."

"Found her by the door when we got here. Care to explain?"

"I don't know who's kid that is!"

"Read the note in the carseat."

May 13th. Las Vegas. She's yours. I'm too young to be a mother. I've signed over my parental rights.
-AvD

"May 13th. May 13th. MAY 13TH. A friend of mine just got left at the alter so we went to Vegas for the night. The entire night was just a blur. But I do remember waking up next to some girl. Babe it was before we happened. I swear."

"I know. So what are we going to do?"

"Well. She's mine. I'm not going to do what my daddy did."

"Good answer. I was going to leave if you said anything else. We'll figure it out. What you need to do now is rush to Walmart and get a few things to get us through the night."

With that he leaves in a rush to get to the store before it closes. Its then I remember that I didn't tell him what to get. Hopefully he gets the right things. I put the child in the carseat as she was asleep and realise that she doesn't have a name. I look through her things to see if there's anything that has her name on it. I find a folder with what looks like her birth certificate and other things. Ryan Leigh Jordan.

She kind of looks like Drake. For a one month old she has a lot of hair which is curly and black. She's got his nose, lips and eyes. She's just beautiful. About 45 minutes later, Naomi walks down the stairs.

"Mommy. Is that my new sister?"

"Uhmmm. Well..." Lucky Drake walked in and interrupted the conversation.

"I'm back. I bought pizza. And a lot of other things. Nai care to help?"

"Sure."

They return after 2 trips with a crib, stroller, nappies, formula, wipes and some essentials to get us through the night. Nai and Drake got to work on the crib and stroller while I fed Ryan. After everyone had eaten and bathed, Drake put Naomi to sleep while I put Ryan to sleep. We placed her crib in our room, she was now soundly asleep.

"Naomi asked if Ryan's her sister."

"Do you want to adopt her? I mean if you want to."

"You sure?"

"Yeah."

"Okay then. But you know this means we are going to have to decide on where to live right?" I inquire.

"Right."

"But since that will be a lot of unnecessary stress and arguing, we'll have to alternate like we do now. Because as much as I love you I'm not moving in with you until I see some stable commitment."

"But babe don't you think it's going to be confusing for Ryan?"

"Drake! I ain't finna argue with you. I'm tired and I have a long day ahead of me tomorrow so goodnight."

With that I get in bed and as soon as my head hits the pillow, all the days stresses slowly dissipate and I become a citizen of Sleeplandia.