Chapter 15

Gasping, I dawdle in winter layers to catch up to him, "you take public transportation?"

The sun's beginning to set but I can still make out the hard look on his face, which doesn't give away anything. Frowning, something about this silent Zander doesn't sit too well with me and once my eyes travel from his face down his figure to size up what's brewing, I almost laugh at the nervous body language.

"Wait, don't tell me this is your first time?" I ask airily. 

"I didn't say anything, don't start jumping to conclusions, Catherine."

Gasping again with light humour, I shove his shoulder, "A twenty-two year old boy has never taken the bus. Not once in his life?"

"It isn't like that!"

"I think it is."

"And hold on, did you just call me a boy?" Nodding in the affirmative, his face darkens.

"Cupcake, I'll only say this once. But I'm a man."

Waving a hand dismissively, my tone mocking, "Man, boy. Same thing."

"What? No."

"Sure it is, I mean if you think about it in terms of maturity, men are still boys till the age of twenty five at least."

 Stopping dead in his tracks, he turns to me and takes a step forward. Startled, I lean back and stare up at him surprised. His voice seems to drop a few octaves as it becomes laced with a heavy intensity, "but putting that aside, let's focus on the physical."

"Ah..." Internally frightened, my heart starts to hyperventilate and I simply agree with my body as my muscles begin to function faster and my legs start moving on their own accord – I run.

"We're going to miss the bus!" Is my lame excuse as I try to put distance between us. Locating the bus stop that's directly under a light post, I check the timings on a bus schedule pinned to a nearing post.

Hearing the sound of Zander's footsteps behind me, I turn around to see humour in his eyes and a smile he tries eagerly to hide.

"Um, you were right. It should be here in five minutes," I huff, my breaths visible through the cold air.

"Am I? I think I was right about more than just the bus." Offering a shaky, hysterical laugh, I quickly stare at the salted sidewalk and wish with every fibre of my being that I was invisible – why is he doing this to me?

"I-I have no idea what you mean," is my small, simple reply.

"Oh?" My eyes are still fixed on the pavement, my hands shoved into my pockets but they're soon yanked out and placed into Zander's large and warm ones.

Speechless and dumbstruck, he starts blowing onto my hands and rubs them delicately with his fingers.

"Um, wha-what are you doing?"

"Just demonstrating my previous comment."

"Wha – " My words get swallowed up in bewilderment as he places my freezing palm lightly against the side of his face. I'm not sure if Zander's purpose for this is to warm my hands because my face is the only thing feeling scorching hot heat. I'm gravitated to his touch but my mind reminds me this is wrong, completely wrong – I'm violating business ethics here, aren't I?

Quickly snatching my hand back, I step away and exhale a weak breath, "your hands will get cold too."

"Now this is a first, here I am trying to charm a girl and it's having reverse effects."