Chapter 28

I'm utterly amazed by my body's ability to respond to Zander's kiss with my mind at a complete standstill. If he wasn't holding onto me tightly with both arms wrapped around my waist, I would have dropped and fallen flat on my face before tumbling down the stairs from the shock I've just received. So this is what it feels like to be kissed by Zander Nolan and god did it feel sooo good! I don't even hesitate to comply to his wishes when he prods my mouth open, deepening it.

The ground beneath me could cave right at this moment but I don't even care because I'm so lost in the bliss of the moment. As if becoming suddenly needy, I slowly bring my hands around his neck to get closer, not wanting an inch of space remaining between us and feel my back hit against a wall. Everything is on fire; my skin, my clothes, and probably the wall - I'm utterly and completely lost.

But like all good things it ends as quick as it began.

Pulling away from me, he rests his forehead against mine and I slowly crack my eyes open in a daze, my breathing laboured, my lips set in a pout from the loss of contact, more swollen than they've ever been. Blinking with raised eyebrows, I glance at him with silently questioning eyes.

"Wha-wah what was that?" I asked breathlessly, my eyes heavily glazed over as I stare back at his mouth, licking my lips to recall the feel of them on mine.

Giving me a smug grin, Zander stares down at me warmly with his hands still holding me in place, "What do you think?"

"I think that's something friends shouldn't do." I mumble out, feeling heat beginning to creep up on my neck with the look of desire burning within those green smouldering eyes.

"That's because I don't want to be just your friend."

My eyes widen before I step back hastily, our magical moment of rapture coming to an end, the distance I've created making both of us frown.

"What?" I ask shocked, pausing briefly before remembering why we were here on the fifth floor emergency exit in the first place, "But...that doesn't change the fact that you lied about knowing!"

His lips firmly press together to form a grim line, his eyes scanning my face, "I didn't lie to you Cat, I withheld the the truth from you. Yeah, I did know but I was going to tell you eventually, I just didn't know how."

A sense of guilt sneaks up on me as I realise I've been struggling with those exact conflicting emotions but not wanting to admit my own inner turbulence I give Zander a hard look, "What do you mean?"

Pointing at the stairs, he takes a seat and motions for me to take the spot next to him, "You better sit down for this, it might take awhile to explain."

Cautiously sitting down on the cold step, I turn to him expectantly, "So..." I draw out slowly, staring at the wall across us, my mind trailing back to our kiss but I have to shake myself from my wandering thoughts.

"So...I may have known the entire time who you were. It wasn't really hard to figure out and you're a terrible liar, no offence. At first I did want to approach you to help me figure out a way to end an engagement that was made years ago between my Dad and one of his oldest friends. Not to mention the club girl who was actually an entertainment columnist posing as a customer and staging the entire thing. I didn't know how to get out of that without professional help and you have an incredible rapport."

"Okay," I drawled out, not fazed by the shower of business compliments.

Wincing, he offers me a regretful look before smiling slightly, "Sorry. I know I had selfish intentions but I had no idea you were so young. I had hired one of my Dad's investigator's to locate you and he provided an address and name so I moved in next door, hoping to learn more about you before approaching you for help since I didn't want to be taken advantage of for a third time."