Chapter 43

My easygoing mood immediately shatters once the shock of reality sinks in

Tomorrow.

Sooner than I'd anticipated, and I suddenly feel unprepared. The panic seeping into me must be obvious because Zander eyes me knowingly, giving my shoulder a reassuring squeeze but he can't hide his own uneasiness.

Sighing, I look upward wondering why I can't be given more than a week's worth of peace and trudge towards my work desk.

Opening up several tabs, I give my fingers a dramatic crack and begin typing. Waving, Zander leaves my unit with purposeful strides, his own line of work having to be taken care of throughout the night in order to deal with tomorrow's stunt.

It's going to be a long, long, night and even the thought of staying up, emailing clients has me grunting with frustration and running shaky hands through my hair.

I'm busily inputting information for a female match(ee) when I look up to find Celia and Patrick fast asleep on the floor, in the same clothes they arrived in.

Checking the time, I'm alarmed by the four glaring back at me from the desktop screen and sigh heavily, setting a timer and quickening my pace.

My efforts pay off because I'm done by five-thirty in the morning but my under eyes feel as if their pulsing and swollen from the all nighter I've just pulled.

Finally shutting everything off, I practically crawl into my room and collapse onto the bed, welcoming sleep.

************
"Cat! Wake up!"

Groaning, I refuse to open my eyes because doing so would mean no turning back. Sleep would be totally lost if I gave into the voice calling for me.

Reaching for a pillow, I yank it over a ear and roll over to one side.

"Catherine Lewis! Wake up!"

"Go away, Mom," I hissed, still battling with the longing desire to keep my eyes shut.

"Cat!"

"Hmph," I groaned.

"Catherine!"

"Hmph."

"Oh Princess Kitty Cat! Wake up from your slumber."

"Hm."

"Ugh, I give up! Zander, you try."

And just like that, I'm flung into the air, the darkness surrounding my closed lids bouncing with the shake of my head. Unwillingly cracking my eyes open, it takes a few seconds to adjust to my surroundings, the ceiling abnormally close.