Chapter 5

Seven in the evening

My subconscious mind has conjured up a scene with a shady dressed man in a trench coat, on a dark stormy night as thunder and lighting set the perfect atmosphere. My scene also is placed in the early 50s, so naturally it's a black and white movie in which the femme fatale figure conveniently goes missing for the majority of the film.

I could whack myself on the side of the head for even giving myself the time to think such thoughts when Zander Nolan was about to come rapping a hand against the door.

And before I can even calm my nerves down, the dooming sound of knuckles knocking fill me with dread...can I conveniently disappear like a femme fatale?

With trembling hands and shaky nerves, I open the door ever so slowly and look from Zander to Patrick with dread. They're standing in sweats and fitted tees that would make any normal female, other than this one, swoon from the sight. Zander holds two sleeping bags while Patrick holds a bag of snacks and a bottle of tequila, his other hand is full of action DVDs.

"Hey, Cupcake," they say in unison. 

"Look guys, I'm really sorry but I completely forgot about this sleepover. I have a ton of paperwork to catch up on that has to be finished tonight," I manage to say this without pausing to take a breath, and keep my eyes focused on the wall behind Patrick's head in order to avoid facing them.

"Cupcake!" Startled by the tone of Zander's voice, I glance at him with frightened eyes.

"Ye-yeah."

"Just shut up. You're a terrible liar."

"Wha-aa-what?" I try faking pure innocence but this has no effect.

"We're having this sleepover whether you like it or not."

Excellent. That's exactly the answer I was expecting; rather than inviting them over, creating a situation that would naturally have them coming over was what I was aiming for. I originally did want to squawk out an excuse to keep my distance but Celia was right, this is an opportunity we can't miss out on. I needed information on both of them, and this was my chance.

I'm not a psychologist and nor do I have expert knowledge but Zander Nolan seemed like the type of guy who took no poorly. He refused to be rejected and not idolised, a commonality among a lot of C&C's male clients.

Pressing my lips together to suppress a smile, I nod my head and sigh dramatically before stepping aside to allow them entrance to my humble domain. My nervousness derived from my lack of acting skills, I didn't think they'd fall for this so easily.

Lucky me, I guess...

"Why the hell is it so cold in here?" Patrick's teeth chatter as he says this and I simply role my eyes before addressing Zander, "You didn't warn your friend about how I like the temperature?"