Chapter 26

Insistent pounding on my door makes me haul my sorry behind from bed resulting in me almost falling face first onto the floor and nearly smacking my nose into the wall, my zombie-like walk detrimental to my own safety. 

Groaning, I swipe the hair around my forehead that's tangled and disheveled and manage to locate the damn door, yanking it open I send a menacing glare to whoever thought waking a cranky person up so early in the morning was a good idea. Wincing as the light in the hallway hits my pupils, my eyes finally adjust (a miracle really) colliding with a pair of amused green ones.

"You look..." Sending Zander another glare, memories from last night cross my mind for the millionth time! I couldn't sleep a wink from my head reeling with so many questions; my eyes stared at the invitation Gwen gave me not sure if I should say yes or no. The rational side of me was telling me to flat out say no but another part of me was telling me that this experience would be good. As with every encounter I've had with Zander, he's forced me to have more social contact than I've ever had for several years and it's this realisation which makes me well aware of how pathetic my existence has really been – do I really want to continue living my life as a shut in? Or should I throw caution to the wind and my own anxiety out the window to spend one night living carefree?

But what's worse is how I've felt after Zander's comment before he waved goodbye, not even concerned about the consequences his words would have. He called me pretty! He shouldn't call his friend that! Even nice would have sufficed but pretty?

Groaning, I send him another glare since he looked like he slept well. Probably dreamt about rainbow unicorns I'm sure. 

I didn't want to face him this morning with my thoughts in severe knots and heaving an exasperated sigh, I begin to crank the door shut only to have his hand firmly push it back open.

"Cat! You've got to help!" his eyes plead with my groggy ones, my face contorting in what I hope appears to be a questioning look instead of a scowl.

"It's too early! Can't I help you later?" I asked whining, my voice hoarse from being sleep deprived.

"No you don't get it! They're here and they won't leave!"

"Who?"

As if on cue, a little girl with pigtails steps into my line of vision and all the sleep shakes off of me within seconds. Oh no. The Girl Scouts were here!

Gulping, I send her a shaky smile, her own smile dazzling with straight white teeth; it's the ones that smile at you that you need to be afraid of. To add to my horror however, my eyes travel to the pull-along wagon behind her that's stacked high with a mountain of boxes and then swiftly back to her, her smile now cheeky as I zero in on the medals and patches covering every inch of her pink vest. 

She's the type that makes a sale no matter what, a real formidable scout.

"Hi..." I drawl out cautiously, not even surprised when Zander grabs my wrist, placing me in front of him to shield himself. Using humans as shields was my thing! Must my awful, cowardly traits rub off on him?

Frowning, my eyes narrow at him quickly so he would get the message before I force all my attention back on the little girl but there's this sense of growing discomfort beginning to take form in the pit of my stomach and spreading as I was not liking the way my exposed arms felt with Zander's hands on them. 

"Hi, my name is – " Her candy-like introduction gets cut off, my heart doing mini flip-flops from just the sound of her adorable voice, my eyes wide as I turn to Zander.

"Cat, make her stop! I can't look into those cute eyes."

Clearing my throat to appear unaffected, I pat his hand to give him assurance, hoping this action would be comfort enough for him to let go, "Sssh, cut it out Zander! And stop treating the poor kid like she has some kind of disease." Panic now rising within me as I could feel my cheeks colouring as his hands move from my arms and make their way up to my shoulders in one smooth motion. Where the hell did he get the nerve to touch me like-like...like this!