Chapter 4

"Randy?"

"He's the shady guy who lives two floors up."

"And he's bad because?"

"Because he gets dirt on the celebrities here and sells incriminating photos for a living. The last thing I need, is a phone call from the President asking me why I've ruined his family's reputation."

"I don't understand what the big deal is?"

"Don't you see, Zander Nolan in an apartment, walking around with some strange girl is bound to perk everyone's interests, including a begrudging fiancée."

"Good point, especially with your fashion sense and naïveté. Well, then just tell Zander he lives there and avoid him like the plague."

"Right, like Randy isn't sniffing his nose around looking for the country's golden boy right this minute," I nip out sullenly, refusing to discuss the contents of my tasteless and sad closet.

"I'd offer to help you but I have to visit my aunt for the weekend. The annual family bonding time, with dinner and crappy games."

She was being nonchalant for my sake, I knew Celia loved spending time with her family but she pretends not to care for my benefit. Because I was the friend who had nobody, I had no family and no other friends who cared about me or who I could care for in return. She was being nothing but sweet, but it was more patronising, given our age that she would attempt to spare my feelings and be overly cautious.

"Well have a great time, see you when you get back," hanging up on her, I decide to take a nap before going back through some files. Randy will have to be tomorrow's issue, or one I can tackle once Celia gets back. We'd either have to convince him to remain quiet by offering him a small profit or somehow interweaving him into our plans, using him as a means to an end.

*********************

Is it strange that I have my ear up against the wall trying to make sense of those muffled sounds? I think not! I can hear groaning and loud music not to mention occasional shouts, these shouts being the reason I'm awake and sleep deprived.

Glancing at the clock that reads half past three in the morning, I physically crumple in my chair and silently throw punches at the wall. What the hell is going on next door?

 My new neighbour has been nothing but annoying and for once, I'm considering going down to the lobby to get some work done to write out a set of emails due to be sent out in two hours. Sighing, I pull the strings of my hoodie tighter against my neck and will myself to walk out.

Ever so slowly, I take a huge gulp and step out and quickly knock on Zander's door before I can turn back and hide.

The door swings open and loud upbeat music has me cringing, the volume turned up so high, I'm sure he must be deaf by now.

"Well look who it is, what brings you over cupcake?"

Frowning at the name and the casual way he grins at me, I have this urge to sneer in his face and demand he turn the volume down. 

Deciding that words would mean nothing considering I wasn't in the mood to yell my lungs off, I walk right past him and head for the stereo. Turning the volume dial down to zero, I turn around and cross my arms, giving him my best death glare, "You know neighbour, it's polite to be considerate towards others. Please keep the volume down unless you want me complaining to the landlady." 

Even as I attempt to say this in a threatening manner, I know for a fact that Ms. Zhao could care less. As long as she had people of high calibre renting out rooms, she would permit anything.