Chapter 10

My heart seems to quiver as the proximity between us heightens, increasing my desire for flight. I need to hide somewhere. My eyes dart nervously around me, looking for an easy escape but before I can even settle upon anything, I'm enveloped in warmth.

Startled, my eyes widen as his arms wrap around me, "thank you. You didn't have to do that, you know."

"Um, you're welcome," My voice comes out a little strained as a contented feeling lurches within me; this is entirely wrong, he's a stranger and I'm letting him hug me. Not to mention the fact, that he'll be my client in the near future.

Clearing my throat, I quickly step away to place some distance between us and with my eyes cast to the floor, I walk away hurriedly to my bedroom. A bit of heat has crept up to my cheeks, and with a pounding heart, I open the door and shut it soundly behind me. Turning on the lights, I almost shriek at the sight of both my Landlady and Patrick sound asleep. Groaning, I grab my discarded sleeping bag and place it on the floor – wiggling myself into it, I stare at the ceiling as the sounds of mild and chronic snoring fill the air.

This day has simply been unbelievable, a visit from the President and his secretary, running into a Paparazzi reporter, walking into my apartment filled with mayhem...if this is just the beginning then what's to come in the near future? Realisation dawns on me, and with lightening speed I sit upright and blink a few times before taking deep breaths to calm myself down. Is this going to be my new normal?

The sound of the door creaking however, only intensifies my already berserk nerves. Looking up, I see Zander chuckling at the sight of Patrick and Ms. Zhao, and Celia's head poking from around the corner, "Cat, are you asleep?"

Sighing, I rise from the floor, "no, I'm still wide awake," begrudgingly tossing a blanket aside, I worm my way out of the sleeping bag and straighten myself up.

"Watch a movie with us then."

"But it's already one in the morning! I have to work tomorrow," I groan.

"Work?" Zander's perplexed expression only makes me scoff internally. 

"Yes, work. Some people work for a living you know."

"You don't go to college?"

"No," Is my clipped reply. 

"How come?" My level of education has perked his interest, his eyes pierce into mine with curiosity gleaming within them.

"That is clearly none of your concern." 

"Um, so the movie?" Celia squeaks, placing herself between Zander and me. Did he honestly think he could worm information out of me? I was the expert at profiling and digging up information – he has no idea who he's dealing with. 

"Fine by me," Turning on me heel, I peel my eyes away from intensely curious green ones and stride purposefully into the living room and sit at the far corner of the couch.

"What do you guys want to watch?" Zander asks politely, attempting to gage our cinematic preferences from a mere glance.

Both Celia and I shrug our shoulders, not really caring. I wasn't much of a movie type unless it was a good horror movie with plenty of gore and blood – my sadistic side tends to reveal itself when I watch horror films without even flinching. 

"Then don't kill me for picking something you might hate."

Sighing, I bring my knees up and wait patiently for him to place a DVD into the player.

Nudging me, Celia offers me a reassuring smile. She knew the reason I wasn't in college, and probably thought Zander's question upset me, which it did even if it was briefly. I try not to even think about it, high school itself was a hellish nightmare, the memories lodged into the far corners of my mind.