Six.

Quick question: Do you guys like this book? I'm having mixed feelings about it...

Parents.

I was in the waiting room with her parents. “You look dressed up.” Dianna smiled, “I...I..was with Demi..” I looked up to her, “She told me she wanted a prom,so I gave her a prom.” she gasped, “That’s beautiful!”

“I think she really enjoyed it. She was smiling the whole night.” I grinned, “I’m really appreciating what you did. She was depressed she couldn’t go to prom.”

“Dr. Jonas can I see you for a second.” Dr. Peters called me, “Excuse me.” I got up and headed to him, “How is she?” I slipped my hands in my pocket. “She’s weak,but she’s alive. We decided to get the cancer out of her lungs while operating on her,but found out it wasn’t cancer..” he sighed.

“What is it?” I was shocked, I tried not to show it, “She has a Benign Lung Tumor.” I covered my mouth,shocked. “It’s too small to get it out right now...if we did,it could mess up her lungs..She’s been wanting to see you..Go visit her while I tell her parents.”

I sighed, “Alright.” I headed to Demi’s room, “Hey Dems.” I walked closer to her, “Hey.” her voice was crisped from the oxygen mask. “How you feeling?” I rubbed her arm, “I would say better,but I got a tumor..”

I sighed again, “I heard.” I stroke her hair, “But you’ll make it through.”

“Joe,be realistic.” she sniffled, “I am being realistic. You’re going to beat this lymphoblastic and tumor’s ass. I know it. You’ll be healthy and you’re marry somebody who loves you and you guys will make babies. You’ll see your babies grow. I know it.” she looked at me and sighed. “I’m sorry.”

“Demi…” I kissed her knuckles, “Huh?”

“You busy this Monday?” I looked at her,man she’s so beautiful. “No,why?” I gave her a smile, “I want you to meet my parents.”

“Your parents?” she looked at me confused, “Yeah, I think they would love you. You know just as friends.” she giggled, “I’ll meet your parents.”

Sunday was church day,so my brothers and I headed off to church. It was a great sermon. Demi texted me during it telling me that she went home today. So I had a smile on my face throughout the day.

Monday rolled around and work was hectic. Dr. Peters and I had a lot of patients which caused me to be late for my family dinner and to pick up Demi. I changed into a hospital room,empty of course. I slipped on black jeans with a white shirt and a washed jean jacket. I headed to my car.

I texted Demi that I was here and she walked outside with her hair curled, she was in a blue and pink flowery dress with a leather jacket. “You nervous?” I laughed. “I never met someone’s parents before..”

"You met your parents,so mine aren’t that different.” I shrugged, “Well…”

She turned her head towards me, “Well what?”

“Except they killed 16 people..” I kept driving, “Joseph! You’re kidding right?” I shook my head, “No. They killed 16 people. Have you seen the movie, Halloween with Michael Myers?”

“Yes…” she kept her eyes on me, “Well,he killed 16 people,in the 4 movie...that’s based on my parents..”

“Take me home!!” she looked out the window, I started laughing, “I’m kidding,Demi. They’re just crazy,but they are normal people.”

“I hate you.” she nudged me.

I pulled up to my parent’s gate and typed in the code. The gates opened and I pulled in, Gia and Nick were here,along with Danielle and Kevin. I glanced at Demi,she had her mouth opened.

I chuckled, “I forgot to mention my parents are millionaires.” I smirked, “I’m not going in there. I don’t fit in.” she kept her seatbelt on. “Demi,you’re going.” I unlocked my car, “No. I don’t look rich.”

“What does that suppose to look like? They will love you. They ain’t your regular millionaires,if you’re thinking like that.”

“I wish you told me. I would pick a elegant dress.” she unbuckled her seatbelt. “C’mon,Cinderella.” I got out of my car. She slowly got out and we headed to the door. I rang the doorbell. “Don’t be nervous. They sense that.”

“Don’t be playing jokes,Joe.” she nudged me again.

“Hey Joe!” my dad opened the door and hugged me, “Hey dad.” I smiled, “Oh,you finally brought a girl!” he grinned, “Uh,she’s just a friend...I took her along because I met her family and I think she needed to meet mine. Paul,this is my friend,Demi. Demi,this is my father.”

“Hi,it’s nice to meet you.” Demi shook his hand, “You too.” he nodded, “Dinner is almost ready. Make yourself at home. Gia and Nick are in the backyard.” he walked off. “I’m going to show her my bedroom.” I took her hand. “Keep the door in.” I heard Demi giggle a little. “Don’t laugh.” I whispered.

I took her to my bedroom, “Welcome to the old Joe cave!” I let her in first. “Wow nice.” she headed inside, “Uh Joe.” she pointed to a red thong on the floor. “Oh shit.” I kicked them to the side with my food. She fell on my bed, laughing so hard, “No wonder your parents tell you to keep the door open.”

“It’s not that funny,Demi.” I chuckled, smiling at her laughing. She finally stopped, “Sorry.” She got up, she headed to my dresser and picked up a polaroid, “Is this your sister?” I sighed, “Yeah.”  I went over to her.

“She’s adorable..I’m sorry for your lost.” she looked up to me, I shrugged, our faces got closer.

She backed away, “We need to talk.” She sent and sat on my bed, I sighed and sat next to her, “When you went to get us food Saturday,Selena came over and...she told me you like me..”

I’m going to kill Selena.

“Demi, I’d be—” she cut me off, “You’re 20,about to be 21 and I’m 18.  You’re my doctor...I’m your patient.. I like you too,but this won’t work..” she looked at her lap, “You’re the sweetest person a person could be..I don’t deserve you. I’m sick...I’m just going to hurt you.”

“Sometimes getting hurt is worth it. Have you seen Frozen? Do you remember when Olaf says,some people are worth—” she laughed a little, “I’m being serious. I’m sick and I never had a boyfriend… I wouldn’t know how to treat you right.. I enjoy being around you..but I can’t imagine hurting you if some bad..happens..”

I sighed, “I understand.”  I shook my head, she got up and looked at my globe of the world, “What you thinking about?”

“I have always dreamt of going around the world...then I also want to go to Disneyland,so I don’t know what to do..”

“Well..lucky you...my vacation starts next week..how bout we go to Disneyland then go around the world.. I just have to talk to Dr.Peters.”

She lit up, “You serious?!”

“Yeah, we just have to talk to your parents and the doctor.” I smiled at her, she jumped up and down, “Thank you,Joe!!” she hugged me.

My parents called us down for dinner. My parents seemed to like Demi. They treated her like human,mostly because they didn’t know her illness. Demi kept a conversation going with them as I was stuck talking to my brothers.

It was getting late, so I had to take Demi home. We hugged goodbye and I drove home after I got myself some ice cream at the store.

I walked inside, “Seems like mom and dad likes Demi.” Nick smirked, “Why are you smirking? They hate Gia.” I went to the kitchen and opened up the ice cream. “Oh shut up.”

“You fucking started it.” I took a bite of my ice cream. “You had to plates of food and you’re still hungry?”

“I wanted dessert.” I said with my mouth full of ice cream. My phone buzzed, so I pulled it out,it was Demi.

I’m sorry,but I can’t do this. Thank you for everything.