Chapter 21

Ezra came home the same night his father instructed him to. He didn't like the fact that he did but what choice does he have? He walked to the study room and sat on the chair that was in front of his dad's. His expression changed the minute his dad's walked in. disappointment rushed over him. He had not expected to give him to his father's decisions. Did that mean he would not see Emma again? The possibility gave him sudden regret. I shouldn't have yelled at her that night instead I should have introduced her to the family then she would have been mine; now that my wedding has been fixed with Heather, there's no backing out.

"Your wedding is in 10 days." His dad had said. "So be prepared... you can't be absent on the day of your wedding."

"I was not planning to be absent dad, I was gonna come back on Friday," Ezra replied.

"But you came back before Friday, what exactly are you up to? Are you trying to cancel the wedding? Because if you did then our reputation will be delicate. Do you really want that to happen?"

"No, Father... I do not."

His father nodded "Make sure you call Heather and tell her to be here on Saturday so you two can discuss more about the wedding."

"Yes, I will." He excused himself and went to his room.

Ezra wondered how his father could be so unfair just because they have to keep the family reputation. Does he not care about his children's happiness? Is everything about money to him? He sat at the Conner of his bed and brought out the designs Emma came to drop in his office. He opened it and saw a silver necklace in-between the booklet. The pendant was designed in letters with the initials E.Z. He opened his wardrobe to look for a place to keep the necklace before he could return it to her. He found a small box and placed the necklace inside.

His mom entered his room with a glass of water and placed it on the table beside his bed. "Why didn't u tell me you were around...? I could have come to pick you up at the airport."

"Mom, The thing is, I didn't want to stress you." He smiled.

"Didn't you say that you were going to be coming back on Friday?"

"I did but I realized that I needed to finish some work before the wedding."

"Didn't you finish it before going?"

"I did but more kept coming in. you don't need to worry about me mother... I am old enough to take care of myself."

"I know but how could I not be worried? You are my son."

"Mother, I can take good care of myself so go to bed... Dad won't like it if you stay here all night." He grinned.

Arden scoffed. But her expression changed all of a sudden. Ezra saw the way her mood switched.

"Is everything okay?" He asked her and held her two hands. "Did anything happen while I was gone?"

"No, everything is fine... I will go to bed now. Goodnight."

He kissed his mom's cheek. "Goodnight mom." She left the room. Something was definitely wrong he could feel it.

***

It was 4 pm on a Saturday, Ezra had invited Heather over for dinner so they could discuss the wedding since that's what his father wanted. His mother had set the table and cooked the meals. Emma should be the one coming here for dinner to discuss their wedding together not Heather. Ezra swallowed past the knot in his throat. "Heather will be here any minute mom." An unexciting expression came across his face.

The doorbell rang and the house help opened the door. Heather entered with different bags in her hand. She gave Ezra's mother the bags "The blue bag is for your aunt and Winter's own is the red." She said smiling,