Chapter 32 (I don't want a fat wife)

Zeena Aunty may look like an angel, she may act like an angel, she may as well be an angel. But when she is furious and mad, she will even make the devil wish it was never born.

"I have to talk to my sons first. Ali, follow me" she says walking into the separate living room, where my nikkah once happened. "Everyone else sit your asses down, and not a word to each other."

Seconds passed into minutes when Ali finally came out of the living room. I felt like the old me again, waiting outside the principal's office, the time where I had seen Omar for the first time, when everything was less complicated. How did my life become such a tangled mess?

I know I'm not that good looking, but I cant say I'm ugly. All of Allah's creation are Ma Shaa Allah beautiful. I was blessed with the best family I could ever ask for. Everything was perfect. Why did my mother have to leave me? Why did I fall into Omar's trap? Why did I lose my morals and myself? I just wish I could rewind into the past, hoping to make it all better again.

"She's calling you in" says Ali interrupting my thoughts. When I look up, I notice that it wasn't directed at me but at Omar. I see him take a deep breath in and stand up. When he walks past Ali he stops for a second before looking back my way again and walking in.

"Seriously guys? I'm right here you know? I know you're talking about me" I say to them despite the situation. Omar was already gone and Ali ignored me completely. Great! Now he's mad at me like I did something wrong.

I waited for Omar to come out and ask me to go inside but instead he walked back in with Zeena Aunty and Khan Uncle following behind him.

Zeena Aunty breaks the awkward tension in the air and says "Amina, even though you're like a daughter to us, it was best we hear it from our sons the situation. It is your fault...."

".....it's not her fault" interrupts Zainab.

"Zainab, you are not in this conversion. Either you stay quiet or you go to your room" says Uncle. This was one of the few times where Uncle has taken the upper hand in a situation. Often it feels like Zeena Ma wears the pants in the house, but then again don't all wives do?

"We have heard everything I'm guessing?" She asks looking at both Ali and Omar. They both nod as she continues. "Amina, it's your fault that you didn't bring this matter to us at start itself. It is your fault that this got carried away. You should have come to us." I look down with teary eyes in shame. She's right. I should have gone to them, but how was I to explain everything? "You and Ali will live separately from us, from Omar. Is that clear?" I nod unable to speak.

"Omar, I... No, we are all ashamed of you. How can you have all these desires towards your brother's wife? Even if you liked her before she was married doesn't mean you have any right towards her now. She never showed any interest towards you, so how can you Omar? I never expected this from you. Apologise to Amina now" she demands.

"Aunty, no the fault is with me too. Omar does not need to apologise" I say out of guilt.

"Where is your fault in this Amina? It is not your fault that you were friendly with him. It is not your fault that he took advantage of your situation. This is entirely his fault and he will pay for it, firstly by apologising."

"Wait, what?" I ask confused.

"It's okay Amina, she's right. It was very wrong of me to take advantage of your friendship. It was my mistake to think that we were more. I'm sorry" Omar says. Okay now I'm really confused. What are they talking about? I stare at both Omar and Ali in confusion.

"Both of you pack your things. As much as we want you here, I guess everyone needs a break from this mess. This is a temporary solution. Amina, you're finishing high school soon, so you're future is in your hands. You can decide what to do later on. But for now you can finish school from there."