Chapter 11 (Marriage and Stuff)

I woke up to my morning alarm clock and completing my morning routine, I went down for breakfast. Shuffling through the cupboards searching for my coco puffs, I groaned loudly.

"Maaaaaa, where did you put my coco puffs? I can't find them. Did you fo..." She's not here anymore. Realizing it once again, I felt the pit in my throat. I needed to move on and sulking about it was not going to do me any good. I pushed all thoughts aside and quickly ate breakfast and prayed before I got ready for school.

I called Imran to let him know that I'll be walking to school. When I made my way to school, I stood outside for about a good 5 min. I was mentally preparing myself for all the 'sorries' and 'we hope you're okay'. I really hated people sympathizing over me. Sure I just lost my mom, but I really didn't need to be reminded of it, right? And knowing my school, word travelled fast.

As I made my way, past the corridors, I was sure I heard some whispers and saw some people staring. I couldn't take it already. I just wanted to turn around and run away, but before I could, someone held my hand. Looking up, I saw that it was Omar.

"It'll be okay. Trust me." That's all I needed to hear. Hand by hand, we walked to our homeroom where Maya came running to me. She hugged me and squeezed the life out of me.

"I'm so sorry girl. I called you and left you so many messages but you never got back to me. I thought of just giving you some space. Anyways how are you doing?"

"It's okay Maya. I'm okay," and for once with Omar holding my hand I really did feel okay. Maya was about to say something but when she saw that Omar was still holding my hand, I saw the devilish grin playing on her lips.

"Shut up," I said trying not to blush in front of everyone and when I said trying- that meant failing miserably.

"Tell me all about it during lunch ok?" she said, eyeing me me and Omar.

Interrupting our girl talk Omar said, "I'm still here you know. You guys talk as if I'm invisible."

"Yeah, yeah potato creep, we see you." I chuckled remembering the name we kept him. I have him a look telling him I'll explain later. Class soon started and the day was over before I knew it.

During lunch Maya, Andew, Ben, and Zain repeatedly teased me and Omar. At one point I did feel uncomfortable with Zain and Andrew, who didn't exactly seem to welcome Omar, but it was just for moment. I guess it was just me.

When we were leaving school Maya grabbed my hand and pulled me to a side almost scaring me, "Hey are you sure about Omar? I dont wanna see you hurt after everything you been through." I was surprised Maya was asking me this because she was the who always told me that I needed a boyfriend.

"Yeah. What's up Maya?"

"No it's just that... Well I saw Omar a little too close talking to some girls and it seemed friendly but you know the girls in our school right?"

"Oh it's alright Maya. We've already talked about that. They are just friends." Still, she didn't seemed too convinced but she nodded anyways.

She thought for a little before speaking up again. We already started walking towards my house, "Don't you think you guys are moving too fast? I mean he just joined and you barely know him and all." She was actually right. I barely knew Omar, but the truth was I was getting to know him, just like he was getting to know me. I really liked him and he really liked me. Somehow he just made me feel happy and comforting. By the look on Maya's face, I realized that I said that out loud. Maya gave me a sincere smile and hugged me before dropping me home.

The weekend would finally be here. My sister would be going back to Saudi on Monday where as Dad would also come home.

I decided to take a quick nap and realized that I had missed Zhuhr prayers. I prayed Asr before I could forget. It was a quite Friday evening and right now, I really missed mom. It felt so empty without her. I took my a cab and went to Amira's place. It was a long travel and I arrived there before sunset realizing that I would probably have to spend the night. I sent Omar a message letting him know that I won't be home on the weekend.

"Assalamu Alaikum Datha" (older sister). "Walaikum Salaam Ami, please be quiet. The twins are sleeping." I nodded and sat in the island chair in the kitchen. My sister lived in a 2 bedroom apartment for rent. Yusuf was really well off, yet they decided to live a simple life.

"Have you made any decision?" Datha asked me, taking me away from my thoughts.

"About what?" I really had no idea.

"About what you want to do now. Do you want to come with me and Yusuf to Saudi? You can finish school there."

"Datha, its not about that. I have everything here, my friends, our house," even Omar. But my sister didn't need to know the last part.

"You can always make new friends Ami".

"It's not just that. I can't just leave the house. It has memories of us, memories of mom. With her gone, I only have those memories to hold onto."

"I know it's hard Ami, but you have to move on. I wasn't that close to mom but I still loved her very much. You and her had a special bond I never understood but I'm sure she is watching over us and she wants us to find a way; anyway to deal with this and be okay with it." I didn't want to talk about this anymore and I really didn't wanna tell my sister that Omar was my way of dealing with it.

"You know you have reached the age of marriage. Once you complete your studies, Dad and I will start looking a groom for you. You don't need to decide now but let me know if you have anyone in mind before we look ok?" Wait what? My mind suddenly went to Omar. We have only been together for a day or so and I can't ask him about marriage. It will just creep him out. We don't even love each other. Not wanting to tell my sister anything, I nodded and she left to check on the kids. As if on que, my phone buzzed. It was Omar. I answered the call and kept the phone to my ears.

"How come you're at your sister's place? I thought I'd stop by your house to see you," he said as soon as I answered.

"But you saw me in school today," I teased him.

"So what? I really can't get enough of your beauty. It's like looking at the moon except you're far too beautiful." Awww. He was really making me blush. I quickly checked if my sister came back but luckily she was in the bathroom. "So what are you doing there?"

"Just talking to my sister," I said.

"About?"

Without thinking I said or more like blurted out, "Just marriage and stuff."

I think he was drinking something when I heard him spray all the water out of his mouth.... "WHAT?"

PLEASE VOTE AND COMMENT