Chapter One

Midoriya

I lay curled on my couch, Ura's hand gently stroking my hair. I was mentally and physically exhausted. This last heat had been nearly unbearable. I was lucky to have Ura to help me through it. As a beta, she was immune to my pheromones. I don't know what I would do without her. We'd been friends since the first awkward meeting at the entrance exam in high school.

"They're getting worse, aren't they, Deku?"

Ura's tone was warm with concern. Her subtle sent of lilacs drifted over me. I didn't know how to respond. I'd only been having heats for a few years. I was an extremely late bloomer. Most omegas started having heats when they were sixteen, but for some reason, I never did. Doctors speculated that was the reason my heats now were so bad. If I would just accept an alpha's claim, then I wouldn't have to go through these terrible heats. It was to the point where Ura had to lock me in my basement. I ended up mindless and begging for an alpha to breed me.

But I didn't want just any alpha. No one I'd met could ever compare to my high school crush. Not that I'd seen him since high school graduation. And not that I'd ever have a chance with him. He'd never seen me as anything other than an annoying nerd. And he was also straight. I would be surprised if he didn't already have a nice omega girl and a couple of kids by now. He'd been so popular in High School. Not only was he good looking, and athletic, he'd been smart too. His commanding alpha presence had made omegas and betas flock to him even then.

I sighed and clutched a pillow to my chest, burying head in Ura's lap. Thinking about my high school crush wouldn't help me. Maybe it was time to give up on my independence. I wasn't sure how much longer I could do this. I was allergic to the suppressants so I just had to endure my heats with no help. And Ura was right. They were getting worse. The pain was nearly unbearable. Maybe it was time to give in, and find an alpha. Maybe I'd get lucky enough to find an alpha decent enough to let me keep my job. I wasn't the type of omega who would be happy staying home and just raising kids.

"Maybe it's time to-"

The blare of my phone cut off the rest of my words. I sat up with a groan, my whole body protesting. Heats were no joke. I'd spent the last the last three days alternately huddled in a ball or body clenched tight in pain and arousal. As a result, my muscles were stiff and aching. Ura patted my shoulder and pushed me back down on the couch.

"Stay, I'll get it."

Ura was the best. She walked across the room and headed into the kitchen where I'd left my phone. She brought it back just as it stopped ringing. She also brought me some pain meds and a glass of water. I tossed a couple of pills in my mouth and gulped down the glass of water gratefully. I glanced at the screen of my phone and saw I'd missed a call from my boss. Weird. He knew I'd taken time off for my heat, so it must be really important. I was just about to dial him back when the phone rang in my hand. I nearly dropped it trying to answer.

"Hello?"

"Midoriya. How's your heat?"

This was by far the weirdest conversation I'd ever had with my boss. He'd never wanted to know anything about my heats other than when I needed off from work.

"Um... Fine I guess. Glad it's over. What can I do for you, chief?"

"Oh thank goodness for that then. I need you to come in. Not too much I can say over the phone. But you know what we discussed last week?"

I tried to think of all the possible conversations we'd had and what exactly he meant. There were a number of possibilities. But if it was something he didn't want to discuss over the phone, that meant something of a higher security clearance. I wasn't involved in many cases like that. I was best at undercover work. Since I still held a youthful look and was fairly short in stature, I was underestimated quite often. Most people assumed I was a teen upon first meeting me. In my every day life, it was extremely frustrating, but as an undercover detective, it was a huge advantage.

"Midoriya!?"

The chiefs voice in my ear startled me and I felt my face flush with embarrassment. I often got lost in my own head and had to be brought back to reality. It was something I'd been teased about in high school. That and my habit of mumbling to myself. It helped me think when I could voice my thoughts out loud.

"Sorry chief. Which discussion did you mean?"

"We found you an in. Come to the office and we can discuss it in person and get you set up as soon as possible."

The click of the phone had me blinking my eyes. I glanced at Uraraka and she gave me a look of concern. I was almost in shock. If he meant what I thought he meant, he'd found me an in to go undercover to shut down a group of human traffickers. We'd been trying for months to find a way in. We knew who all the low level operators were, but we wanted to find the people at the top. This could be our chance. I knew I'd do anything in my power to put a stop to this group.

"I have to go Ura, that was work."

"Are you sure you'll be ok?"

I gave her a quick hug as I walked her to the door. Ura really was my best friend and she took great care of me.

"I'll be fine Ura. Thank you for being here for me! I'll text you later, ok?"

After another hug and a promise to let her know how I was later, she left. I hurried to take a shower and get dressed. Then I was on my way to the police station. I wanted to get there as soon as possible to confirm my hunch. This could be it. We could finally have a way to put a stop to this horrible group. I owed it to omegas everywhere to solve this.