Chapter Thirteen

Chapter Thirteen

Half an hour later I was in my pajamas and wrapped up in a fluffy blanket, curled up on the Jones’s gigantic, grey, comfy couch, watching my favorite movie series, X-Men. I don’t know why, but watching those films always made me feel better.

Don’t you judge me. I can imagine the look on your face, just like you can imagine the look on mine. I mean, I’m not a robot or a cyborg or an android or anything...well, I don’t think I am, but who knows. Whatever the case, I know you probably think it’s weird that a movie about a bunch of kick-butt mutants is my ‘watch-when-your-feeling-down-to-make-you-feel-better’ movie, but it is. In truth, I also think it’s weird I. Sometimes I wonder what it would be like to be a girl who watches the Notebook when she’s sad, and then I wonder, why would I want to cry more tears than humanly possible? So, yeah, I’m going to stick with X-Men.

Alex came out of the kitchen holding a pint of Ben & Jerry’s strawberry cheesecake flavored ice cream and a spoon, and handed it to me before sitting on the couch. I stuck the spoon into the ice cream and shoved the gigantic scoop into my mouth. The taste was not what I’d expected, but good nonetheless. With a sigh, I rested my head on my best friend’s shoulder. 

“Why are boys such idiots?” I queried, talking around the huge glob of ice cream in my mouth, knowing I was about to feel two holes being bored into the side of my head from the glare I would receive. Wait for it...wait for it... There! That’s when the burning sensation started.

“We’re not all idiots, you know,” said Alex, grumpily. “I’m not, at least.”

I swallowed my mouthful, dipping the spoon into the ice cream tub again. “You’re right. There’s the occasional moment when you’re not one.”

“Drea!”

“Kidding.”

“You know, sometimes I wonder why we’re friends.”

“It’s because I’m amazingly attractive, and you’ve obviously been desperately in love with me for years. Besides, who else would hang out with you?”

Alex rolled his eyes at me. “I think it’s the opposite.”

“You’re right,” I nodded dramatically, swinging myself around in my seat to rest my legs on my amigo’s lap. “I’ve been in love with you since you dropped that dissected frog onto the floor, spilled formaldehyde on me, and then threw up on my lap freshman year. It was so romantic.”

We both burst out laughing. The romance between us was about as strong as water, as drinks go. He really was like a brother, except less annoying. Or so I’ve heard. Not having any brothers, I can’t really say how annoying they are, but I have a pretty good idea since I hang around Alex and his brothers a lot. 

Turning back to the television, I watched as two mutants battled it out on screen while I proceeded to eat my tub of Ben & Jerry’s. Gosh, I wished I could be a mutant with powers of making guys fall in love with me. Then it wouldn’t be such a hassle trying to get Cole to notice me.

“Hey, Alex?” I said suddenly, making Alex jump. A spoon flew into the air.  It took me to realize that Alex had been holding it, and when I’d startled him, he’d chucked it. He had been trying to steal my ice cream while I wasn’t looking. “You boob!”

Picking up a pillow that just happened to be lying next to me, I threw it at my best friend. It hit him with a soft thud.

Alex looked at me accusingly. “You can’t eat a whole pint of ice cream by yourself.”

“Oh yeah?” I put on my oh-no-you-didn’t face. “Watch me.” 

Lifting my spoon once again, I stuck it deep into the Ben & Jerry’s tub and somehow got the half of what was left. It looked daunting, but, like an idiot, I ate the whole thing in one bite.

Don’t ever do what I did. Just don’t. At first the cold may not be to much, but then it’s like the temperature drops ten degrees and all of a sudden you have a splitting brain freeze head ache thing.

I sat there, in total agony, with my cheeks puffed out, while Alex began to snicker. Swallowing as quickly as I could, I stuck my thumb up on the roof of my mouth to stop the cold, and shoved the tub at my friend. He could have it. There was not way I was going to suffer through a brain freeze again.

“Remind me never to do that again,” I mumbled. With my thumb in my mouth it sounded more like: “Reminek neeh nevah koo goo at again.” I think Alex got what I was saying.

Now, if you don’t already know, I should tell you that important (ish) things usually happen when I am indisposed. For example, a few seconds after what I said in the last paragraph happened, my phone rang. Of all the people in the world who had my phone number it just had to be the guy I had already planned a future with in my head. If you didn’t get that, I mean Cole. 

I stared at the caller ID. Cole Kelvin. Actually, it just said Cole, but bear with me here. He was calling me. All of a sudden, I panicked.

Did I give him my number as me? Or just as Alex? If I did give him my number as me did he realize that the numbers were the same or is he dumb enough not to realize it? What am I thinking? He’s not dumb! Except he’s easily tricked by my disguise. But so are all the other guys, except Hunter. Maybe he still thinks I’m Alex. Should I answer it?

It was worth a shot.

Quickly hitting the talk button, I pressed the phone to my ear, answering tentatively with my voice slightly deepened. “Hello?”

“Hey, Alex,” He didn’t sound like he was questioning whether or not I was a guy. I almost sobbed in relief. 

“Hey, Cole. What’s up?”

“Hunter said you know a girl named Andrea? She goes by Drea?”

I was shocked by his words. Why would Hunter tell him that I knew me? 

“Yes?” I spoke, starting to panic.

“Do you have her number?” Cole asked.

That time my jaw literally dropped.

“No?” I said. I couldn’t give him my number when it was my number. Like mine as in me, as in Alex me, not Drea me. I looked to the real Alex for help, but he just shrugged at me and mouth ‘I don’t know what’s going on.’

“Is that a question?” He sounded confused.

“Nope. I don’t have her number,” I confirmed.

“Okay. Then, do you know where I can find her?”

“Maybe. Why?”

“I want to ask her out.”

You know how people say their heart stops when something like this happens? I’m sure I have before, but I’m not so sure if it’s true. If your heart stops, doesn’t that mean you’re dead? So, let me rephrase the phrase and say: ‘That’s when I died for a moment,” because, that’s what I felt had just happened.

“Oh,” I said, after miraculously coming back to life, “well, she’s right here.”