Chapter Nine

Chapter Nine

“I’m not sure I can do this,” I mumbled into Alex’s back. My forehead bumped against his shoulder with every one of his long strides. Before you are confused, dear reader, allow me to inform you that my wonderful best friend was giving me a piggyback ride. Does anyone know why it’s called that? Do you think people used to ride around on pigs’ backs like that or carried them on their backs like that? These are things I’ve always wanted to know. “Why didn’t you tell me you worked with him?”

“If I had known he was a friend of Cole’s, I would have,” replied my friend. “How could I have known? I hardly even know the guy.”

“You could have interrogated him!” I cried, pulling my self up with my arms so that my cheek was pressed against Alex’s. drops of water still clung to his skin, or did before I’d pressed my cheek to his, and now formed little rivers down the side of my neck making me shiver. At least it had stopped raining.

“And the rest of my coworkers? I think not.” 

“I think so!”

“Then you think wrong.”

“I do not!”

“Do too!”

“Hey, why is it that everyone works with someone somebody else knows? It’s weird, isn’t it?” I asked, suddenly changing the subject.

The confused look on Alex’s face could almost be heard.

“I mean,” I continued, “you work with Hunter, and Cole and I each work with one of the Double Devils.”

“Oh. Wow, that is weird. I wonder who else works with someone somebody else knows.”

The two of us racked our brains for the next...well, who knows how long, and ended up with nothing. On the bright side, we were at our houses in what seemed a very short period of time. You know, except that, by that time, Alex was complaining about how heavy I was. Way to make a girl feel comfortable about her weight. Not. Oh, yeah, and, also by then, Hunter was in my driveway.

I’m almost sure I would have stayed away from him forever if it wasn’t for the little fact that Cole’s surprise party was that night and I felt obligated to go even if he was going to be there. To top it all off, I’d left my wig behind. So, somewhat timidly, I’d sent a text to Hunter, asking him ever so kindly to hide it and later return it to me at some inconspicuous rendezvous point before the party. I guess he figured that my house would be that inconspicuous rendezvous point.

“Don’t you two look cozy,” he commented, taking in the sight of Alex and I.

“We are, thanks,” I returned, and slid down from my friend’s back.

The two boys regarded each other cautiously while I approached Hunter like one approaches a grumpy, menopausal mother. Trust me, people, you do not want to get close to one of those.

All of a sudden there was a blonde, furry thing flying at me. I yelped and smacked it out of the air. 

Die freaky, flying thing! I thought as it hit the pavement.

“It’s your wig,” Hunter said.

“Oooh,” I let out a laugh as I stooped to pick it up off the ground. It was, indeed, my wig. “Yeah. Thanks.”

He shrugged. “No problem. Now. Explain.”

Right...

___________________________________________

sooo, I know this is short, but I haven't written anything in so long I decided that I couldn't wait to write another part to this chapter. Sorry for taking so long