Chapter Eleven

Chapter Eleven

Hunter wouldn’t let me go to Cole’s party when I was dressed as Alex, he threatened to tell everyone if I didn’t comply with his rules. That is unfair, if you ask me. I’m also pretty sure it’s illegal to blackmail people. My sisters and Hunter seemed not have known that. So, unwillingly, I dressed as myself, putting on skinny jeans and a blouse, and threw on some makeup at the last second.

I ran into my mother on the way to the door where a certain blackmailer was waiting for me. Did I forget to mention that Hunter was now making me let him drive me to places where Cole was going to be? Yes? Well then, there you are. That meanie was set on running my life. Regardless, let us go back to the part about my mom.

She observed my outfit with some surprise. “You’re going out?”

“What do you mean by out?” I returned her look of surprise. 

“Well you just look all dressed up. Do you have a date?”

“No.”

“Are you sure?”

“Mom, I think I would know if I had a date or not.”

“Well, there’s a very cute boy on the porch waiting for you. You two would be the perfect couple,” she gushed, motioning with her hands between the front door and me.

That’s when I noticed the door was open and Hunter was standing in the doorway. Both he and I flushed at my mother’s words

The three of us sort of just looked away from each other awkwardly, I and Hunter’s faces still red. I had no idea how I was going to explain Hunter to her when I’d just said I didn’t have a date, and I had no idea how I was going to explain my mother to Hunter. Desperately, I struggled to find some excuses and words of apology. I’m sure my mind would have trailed to other thoughts, but at that moment I swear I could hear crickets. Like real ones. The insect kind. Gryllus assimilis. Kingdom Animalia, Phylum Arthropoda, Class Insecta, Order Orthoptera, Superfamily Grylloidea, Family Gryllidae. See how smart I am? Bet you didn’t know that. I am like the smartest person ever... Okay, I lied. I was, um, reading that off wikipedia. Sorry. Back to the story...again. I then realized that it was my mom making the cricket noises.

“Mom,” I deadpanned.

“Yes?”

“Stop. Please,” I tried, probably unsuccessfully, to give her a look which told her she was being annoying.

“Stop what?” Asked Mom, and then changed the subject. “Are you two going to go on your date now?”

“Mom,” I groaned, smacking my forehead with my palm.

She looked up at me with innocent eyes. “What, Alexandrea?”

“It’s not a date.”

“Whatever you say, sweetheart.”

“What’s this about a date?” My dad’s voice suddenly was right in my ear, scaring the who-knows-what out of me. A yelp happened to escape my lips before I could stop myself.

Then the Double Devils’ voices came simultaneously from the top of the stairs in a very, very, very creepy way. Sometimes my sisters were the scariest things I have ever seen. “Alex is going on a date?”

“It’s not a date!” I tired to assure everyone, but then the unthinkable happened.

Before I could even blink, Dad was inviting Hunter in, my sisters were grinning by my side like cheshire cats, and Mom was clapping her hands in delight. That could only mean one thing: Dad was going to give Hunter ‘the talk.’