Chapter 21

Mavra feels light-headed, starting to drag behind Kensho and Thurma. Sweat dropped from her forehead and the light from her hand was dying out. She looks back up at the two and tries to keep pushing herself forward. I can't give up. I won't give up. I'll be okay, she keeps reminding herself. She trips over a pebble and clumsily topples to the floor, groaning in pain.

Kensho looks back and gasps. "Mavra!"

He rushes over to her side and notices that she's starting to fade in and out of consciousness. He struggles to carry her and keep following Thurma with a quick speed, feeling himself grow lightheaded as well. "Thurma, it's getting even hotter! This can't be the way to the surface!"

Thurma stops suddenly and anxiously looks around. She felt her hope start to dwindle little by little. "I'm ... I'm sorry. I ... the garthim have collapsed many of the tunnels. I don't even recognize this place!"

Mavra's breathing grows shallow and shaky. She struggles to keep herself standing. "Th-Thurma ... I-I don't know ... how ... how much longer we can last down here with this heat ..."

Thurma frowns deeply, but stops when she spots another tunnel. "Hey, hey, look!" She yells, running over and pointing to the writing carved over top of the entrance. "Isn't that gelfling ruin?"

Kensho heaves Mavra up and lets her arm lay across his shoulders as he squints. "I-I don't know. I can't read it. Mavra, your father taught you how to read, right? What does it say?" He asks her.

She tilts her head up and can only see a blur of words and color. "I-I don't know. I can't see straight."

Thurma sighs tiredly. "Not like we have any other choice. It's the only open way." She gestures for them to follow her into the passage and they stop abruptly when they come across a large cavern with a running lake that seemed to glow brightly with the many crystal lights.

"Whoa ..." Kensho breathes out.

"What ... is this?" Thurma asks.

The three are brought out of their trance when skekSil comes barrelling through the walls with the garthim. He sneers at the three of them.

"Give. Me. My. SHARD!"

They all back away from the garthim and absentmindedly step into the water, not even realizing how it rattled with color. Thurma looks over towards the two. "Oh ... Oh, guys, I'm so sorry that I--"

Mavra shakes her head and smiles kindly at Thurma. "It's okay, Thurma. You came back even when I pushed you away. I'm sorry for that."

Thurma smiles back at her. "Thank you, Mavra."

"No, thank yo--"

Tumby jumps down into the waterfall and latches his tentacles onto all three of their arms. They all exchange looks before gazing at Tumby.

"Tumby--AAAAHHH!"

They all scream as they get pulled down into the waterfall and away from skekSil. Mavra looks between her friends that fell beside her before grabbing their hands tightly.

"Hang on!" She shouts as they all come crashing down into the water with a splash.