Chapter 17

Kira and Aughra stay hidden in one of the largest rooms in the castle, along with some of the guards and soldiers the are barricading the doors so the skeksis can't get in. skekUng growls and picks up a large boulder, slamming it against the two doors and breaking down the bits of it with his fellow skeksis, laughing in triumph as they pick up some of the soldiers and throw them to the side. One of the guards closest to Kira exclaims, "Lady Kira, you must go!"

Kira shakes her head stubbornly. "No. I will not run."

Aughra huffs and lifts her hands up, beckoning for the vines to drop and pick up the surviving gelfling along with herself. "Running's too slow anyway. But there's always a better way. Huh!"

The soldiers on the ground order their men around, calling for them to reach the upper towers. One of the guards cuts down a string that was holding thousands of large rocks above them. The rocks tumble down and quickly stop the skeksis from moving any closer and spreading their havoc in the kingdom. skekUng growls and slams his fist onto the large stones. "This won't stop us, gelfling! You can't stop us!"

Kira frowns and turns to Aughra seriously while gripping the vines.

"They're right, you know. We can't stop them."

Aughra laughs bitterly, saying, "Stop them? Hmph! Not trying to stop. Not with rocks and sticks," She turns her to Kira with a deepening frown, "Just giving us time, gelfling. When all else is dead and lost, time is all there is."

~

Jen watches as Mavra and Thurma try their best to tend to Kensho, feeling guilty. He sighs and turns to the Commander. "Commander. Please, gather your troops. We're going home."

The Commander's eyes widen and he walks up next to Jen. "Without the shard?! But Elder--"

"--Now, Commander. Before we fall even further from the Crystal's light."

Jen's ears perk up when he hears the sound of rushing water making its way through the caves. He turns his attention to the side along with the Commander. "What the ...?"

The water comes crashing in and Mavra gasps, quickly shoving Thurma to the side. "Look out!" She yells.

Thurma winces and stumbles onto the land with an 'oof!' The water rushing around Kensho's waist wakes him up and he looks around hazily.

"W ... What? What happened?"

skekSil laughs crazily while picking up one of the soldiers and throwing him to side, exclaiming, "Shard is MIIINE!"

Jen gasps and he looks over at his daughter and her friends, pointing down the cave. "Into the caverns! Go! We'll hold him back!"

Mavra's ears twist back and she stares at her father helplessly. "But ... father--"

"--Now!" He orders as some of the guards rush towards the Skeksis with their weapons.

Mavra shakes her head--reluctantly helping Kensho up--and running away with him and Thurma.

Jen smiles sadly and watches them leave wearily. "Stay safe ..."

~

Thurma continues to lead the two gelfling, feeling her guilt of lying to them growing stronger and stronger. Mavra helps Kensho walk, panting as the air around them grew stiff and dry. Both gelfling were finding it very hard to breathe. Mavra looks back behind her and frowns, worrying about her father a great deal. Am I doing the right thing? Is this really what the Crystal destined for me to do, or have I gone insane, she thinks, brows knitted together. She shakes away those thoughts.

No, I can trust Thurma. Once we reach the Pool of Tears, I'll save everyone. I will, she thinks with determination. She still had the lingering doubt within her heart and mind. This is so much to take in. Why am I over thinking things now, she questions herself, looking back at Thurma and asking, "Th-Thurma ... where is the Pool o ... of Tears?"

Kensho nods in agreement and smiles weakly. "Y-Yes. It's getting too ... hot to breathe. How much further until we're--"

He cuts his sentence short when he hears little whimpers and sniffs resounding from Thurma.

Mavra looks up at Kensho with a suspicious gaze, which he returns. "Thurma ... what were you going to tell us at the ruins?"

Thurma slowly turns to them while avoiding eye contact.

Mavra's ear twitches in irritation. "There ... there is no Pool of Tears, is there?"

Thurma finally looks up at them while holding Tumby close to her. Her ears fall flat and she stammers out, "I-I ... I didn't know how to tell you guys--"

Kensho stares at her in disbelief and shakes his head. "N-No. You're just fibbing us, right? There has to be a Pool of Tears, Thurma!"

Thurma starts to tear up and shake her head. "I-It's just some children's story!"

The two gelfling remain in a stunned silence as Thurma continues to sob. "I'm sorry ..."

Mavra's gaze turns sharp as her wings spread out angrily. "W-We trusted you, Thurma! The Pool of Tears was supposed to bring us all together and help save both of our worlds!" She shouts.

Thurma cowers away and continues to fumble over her words. Mavra growls and stomps her foot, having lost her temper from all of her stress. "I am risking everything and everyone I love for some stupid vision the Crystal gave me! I don't have time for your silly games, Thurma!" She yells, letting the hot tears trickle down her face.

Kensho can only watch Mavra shout with rage. She's never been this angry before, he thinks.

Thurma sniffs and says through her sobs, "I-I'm sorry ..."

Mavra starts to feel lightheaded from the loss of oxygen and stress. She stops fluttering in the air, falling to her knees and sobbing. "I'm going to die for this ..." She mumbles.

Kensho frowns deeply and holds Mavra close to him, trying to calm her down. He glares at Thurma, saying, "I betrayed my Elders, my people ... e-everyone. And you said after the Pool of Tears, that we could all be together. You ... You wouldn't have lied about that, right?"

Thurma takes in a sharp breath and shakes her head. "Y-You guys don't understand. I couldn't h-have made it this far without you!"

Mavra looks up at Thurma and glares. "You have your precious shard. Now, go ..."

Thurma shakes her head and hesitantly takes a step towards them. "B-But I can't--"

"--GO AWAY!" Mavra shouts, throwing a rock at Thurma. "Just leave us to die. You were already planning on doing that, right?" She asks, smiling at Thurma sarcastically before cuddling up closer to Kensho, who kept his mouth shut.

Thurma shakes uncontrollably and continues to stare for a brief moment. She closes her eyes and sprints in the other direction. Kensho watches her run away and sighs deeply, looking down at Mavra. "Come on, Mavra. W-We have to get out of here."

Mavra sniffs and shakily stands up, staring off where Thurma went, and secretly regrets yelling at her. Kensho ushers her to follow him as they go in a completely different direction.

~

skekSil slams Jen to the wall, laughing at his frail state. He looks down at the sceptre on the ground and hums, picking it up.

The Commander gasps, and makes a run over to them. "No!" He shouts, but gets blocked by the many garthim.

He glares and orders his men around. skekSil rolls his eyes, stooping over Jen as he tries his best to move away from the Skeksis, but is too weak to. "Mmmm. StuuuUUUuupid gelfling. So trusting. So blind. So ... worthless. Trying to claim what was never yours."

He steps on Jen's arm, preventing him from moving, "Now--MMmmmMM--Now, see what happens when you play with fire."