Chapter 8

Aughra sits down in front of Jen and Kira, who were resting on their comfy seat atop of their high pedestal. The Eminence stands closely, next to the elders.

"...one world dies; another made right," Aughra repeats the prophecy, breathing in the smoke from her long cane.

"What does it mean, Aughra? This new prophecy," Jen asks, his hand held tightly around Kira's.

Aughra lets out a puff of smoke. "Huuuh ... always want meaning, don't they? Never straight with prophecies! Always twisted. That's how stars think, gelfling! But ... seems to me the only thing it can mean. Hmph!" Aughra responds, brows narrowed. "Fireling takes shard inside Thra. Fireling saves her people. Fireling dooms us. We must act."

The Eminence nods in agreement, his hand held in a tight fist. "She's right! Every moment the shard is gone, the skeksis claw at their bonds! But using the garthim we could--" He gets cut off by Aughra's cane poking him away from the Elders. "Quiet, sliterskull! Hmph! Let those with hearts hear their own minds!" She yells.

Kira lifts her head off of Jen's shoulder, staring at him in concern. "Jen, what has happened to our shining world? The scrying bats see lush woodland, but there are shadows at the edges of the view. In the dreamfast, I felt frost. I see great cracks, as if Thra were shrinking into itself. When did we last step outside of these walls?" She questions, giving her husband a long stare.

He only sighs, staring at the floor. "All I know is our daughter and ... and that boy, Kensho--"

"--the traitor!" The Eminence cuts in.

Jen and Kira glare daggers at him, making him keep his mouth shut. Jen shakes his head, looking back down at the floor.

"They were the only ones in years who's dared tell us something we didn't want to hear. Oh, poor Mavra. We've missed so much. She's grown up without us, Kira. She probably knows all of Thra better than we do ..."

Kira smiles at Jen sadly, lifting up their hands. "We must see for ourselves."

Jen sighs, leaning his forehead against hers. "No, Kira, please. The Crystal brought you back to me, blessed us with a beautiful daughter ... but now? As it's light wanes, so do you and Mavra. A journey could kill you. I fear our child doesn't have long either."

Kira hums and nods in understanding. "Then you, my love ... you must be our eyes," She says softly.

~

One of the scouts flies overhead and gasps when she sees a light running down across the burnt strip. She points with her long staff. "There! There!" She yells, flying down towards the light with her partner.

Kensho continues running down the burnt path, gasping for air a bit while running hard. "Th-They'll listen. They have to. They're not bad. They'll understand. Th-They'll forgive," He says, the shard clutched tightly in one of his hands while the other has a stronghold on the stick with fire. He slows down his running, staring down at the shard. "Though, I don't expect Thurma or Mavra will when they find out I took this."

He turns back around, holding the shard high above his head. "H-Hello up there! Listen! I-I've got it! I've brought it back! If we all work together, I'm s-sure we can help Thurma, w--" His sentence is cut off by the large splash of water hitting his face.

As he stumbles back, the scout whacks his face with her long baton weapon. She scoffs, realizing it's not Thurma. "It's not the demon! Look! It's just some acolyte from the castle," She says.

Her partner frowns, saying, "A diversion! The traitor's helped her escape with the princess!" She shouts.

Kensho groans, rubbing his cheek, and shakily standing up. "N-No, listen, stop! Please, listen! I've got th--"