Chapter 20

Thurma glances back and forth from the Skeksis and her friends as they help each other climb up where she is and run away with her. skekSil screams in rage and throws the rocks off of himself. "RAAAAAA! Kill you!"

Kensho keeps looking back and sees skekSil starting to catch up again. He looks back at Thurma and smiles. "You came back for us!"

Thurma pants while continuing to lead them down the passages. "The Monsters caved in the main passage! We have to find another way to the surface!"

Mavra tilts her head while keeping her hand in Kensho's. "The surface?"

Thurma nods while looking back at them. "To get you out of here! You guys can't survive below!"

Mavra frowns and says, "Because there is no Pool of Tears."

Thurma turns away from her with a guilty expression. She peeks her head up when she finds two passageways. "This way!" She exclaims, pointing to the left.

"Is the heat returning your strength?" Kensho asks, continuing to follow Thurma's lead.

Thurma shakes her head. "Not enough. It's much colder here than when I left."

Kensho pants a little and looks at Thurma like she's crazy. "This is colder?!"

"I spent almost the last of my fire on that monster. I can't do it again," She explains.

Thurma abruptly stops and her eyes widen when they reach a dead end. "Oh. This way's blocked, too."

Mavra furrows her brows and nods at Thurma confidently. "Come on! We can keep looking!" She says, running down the opposite way with the other two.

~

Thousands of pilgrims gather outside of the castle, staring off into the night sky in fear. A mother podling gasps when she hears a strange humming noise from up above. "What is that?" She asks, gathering everyone else's attention. They train their view up towards the sky to see their Elder Jen riding on the back of the mystics' mysterious creature.

The skeksis take notice, too, glaring at the creature and asking what they should do. skekUng shushes them while picking up the sceptre of the bats.

"Quiet! It carries the old gelfling! The one from before! Hm ... well, for now."

Jen smiles a little, seeing the castle in his view. "We're nearly home, Fizzgig! Kira will be so happy. Once I make it back, I'll send more troops to help our daughter--"

He stops talking when he spots a large black flock of wings start rampaging in his direction. His eyes widen in surprise. "Bats."

He tries to steer the creature away from the bats, but it's too late. They come scratching at the bird-fish, clawing and biting and making it jerk around. Jen loses balance and he ends up getting flipped off the mystic being, falling down, further and further, hitting some trees until he finally crashes onto the ground.