Chapter 26

Mavra furrows her brows while backing away from Thurma's flames, the Crystal shard in her grasp. Thurma's hands ball into fists as she stomps over to her. "Thurma, listen to me--"

"--That was our only chance to save this world! The geyser won't vent again until it's too late!"

Mavra winces from Thurma's tone and takes a step towards her to speak. "Thurma--"

"You're going to kill my world and what's left of my people for your cruel gelfling! That's why you weren't supportive of me earlier! That's why you took the shard! That's why--"

"Thurma! Listen to me! One world dies, another made right! We read the prophecy wro--"

Thurma growls and stomps her foot, sending off large flames that pushed Mavra back to hit a wall.

"You've killed the fireling race! I knew I shouldn't have trusted you, you ... you--"

The Chamberlain shoves Thurma to the side while glaring at Mavra. "Shard!"

Mavra huffs while spreading out her wings angrily. "Don't touch her, you twisted Skeksis!"

skekSil hums mockingly, asking, "And what are you going to do about it, gelfling princess?"

Mavra narrows her eyes while letting out a war cry, quickly pushing herself off the ground and using the sharp end of the shard to cut skekSil across the face. "Not much of a princess, now, huh?" She says.

skekSil growls and grabs her twisted wing, lifting her up in the air by it. Mavra winces and screams in pain, feeling as though her wing would be ripped out of her back.

Kensho gasps, and calls out, "Mavra ...!"

He glares at skekSil before grabbing a large stick and whacking the Chamberlain's back with it. He hisses and drops Mavra, who lets go of the shard by accident. Thurma jumps in to help Kensho fight off the Skeksis using her fire as the two start to fight him. Mavra groans and watches the shard with wide eyes as it bounces and rolls into the Well.

"NO!" She yells, clumsily running over to the Well and staring deep into it.

Kensho looks over and gasps. "The shard!"

Thurma turns to the Well and shakes her in disbelief. "No!"

skekSil growls and throws Thurma and Kensho away, taking Kensho's sharp stick, and stomping over to Mavra, who was struggling to stand back up with her almost torn off wing.

Kensho rolls onto his stomach and sees skekSil make his way over to Mavra threateningly. "No ... no, no, no!" He yells, running over to them.

skekSil lets out an ear-piercing cry and lifts up the sharp stick over Mavra. She slowly turns around and quivers in fear as the weapon comes straight down. She closes her eyes, getting prepared to meet her fate, and accept her death, but is shocked when she feels a pair of hands shove her. She rolls to her side and groans, shakily standing up and peering over to her right. Her eyes widen when she sees the large, sharp wood plunged straight through Kensho's chest. He stares at Mavra with wide eyes and coughs up blood.

"M ... Mavra ..." He manages to cough out. skekSil pulls his weapon back out of Kensho and lets his body fall limp near the Well.

Mavra starts to hyperventilate, tears welling in her eyes. "NO!" She shouts.

No.

That was supposed to be me.

I was the one who was destined to die!

Not Kensho!

Please, please ... not Kensho, she thinks fearfully watching as Thurma used her flames to push skekSil roughly to the wall and knock him out for a while. She looks over at Kensho and her eyes widen. "Oh no ... Kensho!" She yells, standing up and running over to him.

Mavra forces herself to stand back up and rush over to Kensho with a limp before collapsing on her knees. She lifts Kensho up and gently rests his head on her lap. "Kensho ... no ..." Mavra mumbles, sniffing and letting the tears fall from her eyes and onto Kensho's cheeks.

Thurma can only stand near them and watch in pain, feeling her hand shake.

Mavra holds Kensho close, mumbling, "It was supposed to be me. I should've been in your place. I was destined to die ..."

Kensho shakes his head while laying his head back down on her lap, the pain in his chest unbearable. "N ... No ... no, you weren't ..." He lifts his shaky hand up to her cheek and caresses it smoothly.

Mavra's ears twist back in sadness as she holds his hand close to her cheek.

He smiles a little weakly, saying, "Y-You know ... I've ... I've always loved that dimple on the left s-side of your cheek ..."

She shakes her head, watching him shut his eyes for a moment and cough some more.

Thurma kneels down next to him. "S-Save your strength, Kensho. We'll find a way to help you ...!"

Mavra's eyebrows furrow and she gently puts Kensho's hand down, humming a soft tune as the light from her hands shines brightly. She gently relaxed them onto his chest, but immediately stopped when she felt a sharp pinch ache her stomach.

"Ah ...! N-No ... I-I ... I can't do it ...! I can't save you ..." She cries, looking up at Thurma teary-eyed, "I can't save you either ... I can't save our worlds ... I-I can't save anyone ..."

Thurma frowns deeply and let's her ears twist back. Kensho takes in a shaky breath, now realizing what Mavra had told him earlier. "No ... its not--nn--t-too late. You can still c-connect our worlds, Mavra ..." He says, " 'Both are part of a whole,' j-just like my mother said."

Mavra watches Kensho close his eyes, his breathing getting shallow.

"M-Mavra ... I ... I love you. I-I really meant it when I told you. Follow the light. L-Let Thurma ... be your guide. Never forget: Both are ... p ... part of a ... whole."

Mavra feels Kensho's body go limp and she stays silent, shaking her head. "N-No ...! No! Kensho, please! I love you! I love you so much! Please ... please, don't l-leave me ..."

She sobs, hugging Kensho tightly and burying her face into the crevasse of his neck. Thurma starts to cry as well, pulling Mavra away from Kensho's body and hugging her. Mavra sobs into Thurma's shoulder, feeling as though she had lost a whole part of her heart. Thurma stares at Kensho's body and sniffs.

She furrows her brows, thinking back to what he had said before he died.

What Mavra tried explaining to her when they fought.

What Kolba had quoted to her at the dinner-party.

What her mother taught her when she was just a childling.

" 'If inward passes the slivered light ...' " She says to Mavra, who pulls away and wipes at her eyes.

"W-What?" She asks.

Thurma stays quiet standing up straight and staring down into the Well. She looks down at Mavra and reaches her hand out to her. Mavra's eyes widen in confusion until she finally understands what Thurma wants to do. She takes a strong hold on Thurma's hand while nodding curtly to her.

" ' When feeble shines what once was bright and secret spheres succumb to night'," Mavra says, jumping down into the Well with Thurma head on.

" 'If inward passes the slivered light. One world dies ..." Thurma states after.

Their conjoined hands form a bright light and they both feel themselves exchanging energy to one another. Mavra's wing heals in a matter of seconds and Thurma's rays of fire spread out wide so they both can see the Crystal Shard falling a little ways below them. Both girls reach out their free hands towards the shard. Mavra's wings spread out far so the girls can glide down the Well more safely.

" '... Another made right'!" The girls exclaim, both grabbing onto the Crystal Shard before landing with a loud crunch onto the thousands of gifts and offerings laying at the bottom.