Chapter 28

skekSil hums lowly, limping over to Kensho's dead body and glaring down at him. "Stupid dead gelfling," He kicks the limp body and huffs, "Stole shard. Mmmm! Stole power!"

His eyes look over to the Well when it starts glowing brightly. "Mmmmmm? Shard?" He questions, looking inside the Well and smirking.

"Yes! Yes! See shard! Hear shard! See-- ... many shard!" He exclaims, as the lights and shards come flying out of the Well and striking the Chamberlain.

He disappears into light as the shards glide up towards the Mother Sun. The Sun starts to spread more of its light onto the barren land, seeming to speak to Kensho's mind.

"Wake. Wake child."

Kensho's eyes shot open and he sits up straight, taking in a deep breath and looking around in confusion.

~

Mavra lays on the ground, knocked out from the impact of the Crystal's light. A younger Jen and Kira walk over to their daughter, seeming to hover in the air freely.

"Wake up, darling," Kira says sweetly.

Mavra's eyes flutter open and she slowly sits up, looking up at her parents in shock. "Mother? F-Father?"

They smile at her and nod. "You saved Thurma's people," Kira states.

"And ours," Jen adds proudly.

Mavra hesitantly stands while looking back at the Crystal. "But ... I don't understand. I-I destroyed the Great Crystal! How did I save everyone?"

Kira giggles and rests her hand on her daughter's shoulder. "Not destroyed, Mavra--"

"--Reborn," Jen finishes, glancing behind him and staring at the urSkeks lined all around the Crystal.

"In the warmth of the inner-sun," The tall alien spoke in a soothing voice.

Aughra smiles and says, "Skeksis gone--huh! Good. Rejoined mystics! Reborn! Two made one! New start for all!" She wobbled over to the little family. "Misunderstood the prophecy! That's what we did! Huh! Thought inside world or outside world--one had to go! Only one survive! But both parts are same!"

Mavra smiles and looks over to her mother giddily. "Both are part of a whole!"

Kira giggles and nods in agreement. "The old ways must end for the new ways to begin. That's all it meant," She says.

Mavra nods in understanding, but her smile falters when she thinks back to Kensho.

"Kensho ... he sacrificed himself for me. I wish he were still here ... he would've been so happy to see our worlds come together, but now he's ..."

Jen gives Mavra a warm hug, saying, "Child, I once stood where you are now. My love was lost to me. Your mother."

Mavra looks over to her mother and frowns. "Right. But ... the Crystal's light saved her."

"And Thurma's Mother Sun. We know that now," Kira explains.

"Inner, outer. Heart, mind. Fireling and Gelfling. All one. And all beginning again. Together," Jen says.

Mavra looks down in confusion before it all clicks. "Wait ... s-so, Kensho--"

"When you return Thurma back to her home, child, Kensho will be waiting," Kira tells Mavra with a large smile.

Mavra laughs and hugs her parents tightly. "Thank you!"

They smile sadly, hugging her back tightly before hesitantly letting her go.

She stares up at them in question.

"What is it?" She asks.

Her parents look at one another and sigh sadly. "We must leave the old for the new. You are Thra's new beginning, Mavra," Kira says, softly caressing her cheek.

Mavra realizes what they're saying and tears up. She manages to smile just for them. "I love you, Mother, Father."

They both smile back and kiss the top of her head. "We love you, too," Kira says.

Jen smiles a little mischievously before lifting Mavra up and spinning her around in his arms. She squeals and laughs giddily, hugging her father back as a single tear of joy streams down her cheek.

"I'll miss you guys ..." She whispers, sniffing a little.

Jen hugs her tightly while gently setting her down, wiping away her tears. "We'll always be in your heart and in your mind, little one."

She stares at him with large eyes before nodding and bowing her head to him in respect. Thurma pushes past some of the crowds and smiles joyously when she sees her gelfling friend.

"Mavra!" She exclaims, jumping into her embrace and laughing gleefully.

Mavra smiles and hugs her friend back. "Thurma, I'm so glad to see you!" She cheers.

One of the urSkeks reaches out to Kira and Jen, calmly stating, "Children of the Light. It is time."

Kira and Jen nod while looking over at Aughra and smiling, waving goodbye.

"Goodbye, old friend. I will miss our talks," Kira says lightheartedly.

Aughra huffs and shrugs. "Leaving--is that it? Off into the light?! Huh! All right for some!" She stares at their puzzled faces before grunting. "I will miss you too, my dears. Huh! But nothing really ends! Meet again! Far from here, could be! Huh!"

Aughra shuffles away while waving her hand dismissively. "Or not. Who can say? Bahahaha!"

Kira and Jen look at one another before chuckling under their breath.

Kira looks down at Fizzgig and smiles. "And you, Fizzgig? You'll look after our daughter and her friends?"

Fizzgig barks happily, giving Kira a bunch of kisses.

"Haha! Well ... I suppose you've earned one more adventure," She says.

The two Elders look out over the sea of saddened pilgrims. "No tears, now. Not for us. The stars are calling," Kira tells her people.

"We kept the light for so many years, but in the end, we lost our way," Jen states, looking over at Mavra and Thurma, "It's time the Crystal had new guardians."

Kira links her arm with her husband's and smiles at him reassuringly before returning her gaze to her daughter and the Fireling. "Go in peace, Thurma," She says, "Go in love, Mavra. You and Kensho."

Jen nods in agreement, turning to Thurma, and adding, "And never forget that your world is our world."

"Make it in the Crystal's light--" Kira starts.

"--And the fire that dwells inside--" Jen adds.

"And let them be one," They both finish, vanishing into nothing but sparkles and pure light.

Mavra watches with tearful eyes and a saddened smile. "We will, Mother and Father."

Thurma glances up at Mavra and smiles, taking ahold of her glowing hand and adding, "Together."