prologue.

The most important life lessons are often taught when we don't even realize it's a life lesson. Of course, at a very young age, parents teach their children to share their toys, to say thank you, not to talk to strangers and so on. Sadly, parents can't teach you everything you need to know. So while some life lessons are learned through our education, others are learned from experiences.

At the age of five, Emily Hampton was taught a valuable lesson. Sadly, she didn't realize how important that life lesson was until she reached the age of twenty.

It was a Saturday afternoon, a perfect day to be outside. Earlier that week, Emily's mother had promised to take her to the park during the weekend because Emily had been such a good girl in the past few weeks. Not that she wasn't usually a good kid, even at the age of five, Emily was very polite and nice with everyone, but Emily's mother believed in rewarding good behaviour.

Emily loved going to the park. She was an only child and often told her mother that she would like to play with other kids more. The park was a perfect occasion for that.

There was also the fact that to her the playground represented freedom, even if her mother was always around watching her, Emily didn't mind. She could go on the slide and pretend like she was sliding down a mountain, she could go to the swings and imagine that she could touch the sky, she could go in the playground and pretend like it was a ship. The possibilities were endless and Emily loved that.

All around her, kids were running around and screaming, but it didn't affect Emily. On that day, she was pretending to be a firefighter, running around and acting as if the structure was her fire truck. As she was walking through the playground, she saw that next to the monkey bars, there was a fireman's pole. Little five years old Emily smiled from ear to ear, thinking that it was the perfect element to help her pretend.

She made her way too it, but as she stood on the edge and looked down, she realized that she had never gone down one of these and suddenly got very scared. The ground suddenly seemed too far down and it paralyzed her with fear.

A few feet away from Emily, a little boy sat alone in the sand. His mom had ordered him to sit there after he had thrown sand at his older sister, so all he could do was look at the kids playing around him. He didn't like seeing that everyone was having fun but him, but as his little green eyes landed on Emily, his frustration disappeared. Even at the age of six, the little boy could see that the little black haired girl was scared.

He looked around, trying to see if his mother was watching him. The little boy liked the feeling of danger, but he didn't like getting caught by his mother because she was tall and could easily hide his toys on the highest shelf in the cupboard. When he finally spotted her at the opposite of the park, trying to get his sister down from a tree. He was sure that his mother wouldn't see him, so he broke the rules and walked to Emily.

"You scared?" he called from the ground, his little arms crossed over his chest.
Little Emily looked down. "Am not," she denied. There was no way she was telling a boy that she was scared, she was way too proud for that.
"Come down then," he challenged her with a mischievous smile.

He knew that she was lying and kept his eyes on her, observing her reaction. He saw her fists clenched on her sides and knew that she wasn't happy. His mom did the same thing when she wasn't happy. Emily avoided looking at him, hoping that he would leave her alone so that she could come down using the slide without having to admit that she was scared.

"It's easy," he assured her. "I use it all the time."

Emily glared at the boy but he didn't move. She extended her arm to reach the pole but retracted it almost immediately. It seemed too far for her to reach and she didn't understand how her little arms could be strong enough to hold on to the pole without falling.

It was taking Emily a long time to act. The little boy looked around, trying to find a way to make the girl come down. Suddenly he remembered how his mom distracted him whenever she tried to clean a wound and decided to try and do the same thing.

"What's your name?" The little boy asked as he took a step closer. He had never seen her in the park before and he was sure that she wasn't in his class because he knew all the girls in his class.

She held the bars on each side of her and looked down. "Emily-ly," she stuttered shyly.
"Emilily?" The little boy laughed.
"No, just Emily," she corrected herself.
He shook his head. "I like Emilily better."
She didn't like that name, but she was way too scared to say anything. "What's your name," she asked him back.
"Harry," he smiled. "Are you coming down?" Harry asked for a second time.

Emily shook her head. She didn't want to play a firefighter anymore, the pole looked too dangerous. The slide was only a few feet away from her. She could easily come down from that way. As she started to back away from the pole, Harry started talking again.

"Use the pole Emilily," he told her.
She frowned, annoyed by the name. "It's Emily."
He ignored her and smiled. "It's easy, I promise."
"But what if I fall?" She asked with a small voice. It wasn't about her pride anymore, Emily just didn't like to get hurt.
"I'll catch you." Harry extended his arms. "Do it, trust me."

And so, Emily did.

.
.
.

Hello everyone ! Hope you enjoyed the prologue of my new story !

First of all, to my new readers : Welcome! Hope you enjoy your stay! To my older readers : Yes ! Finally posting this! I've been talking about it for a while now and I'm really excited!

Second of all, I'm only posting the prologue for now. I'll start posting in January, after my exams and the holidays :) So this is just a teaser. I have a lot of things planed for this story and I am warning you now, I still haven't decided if I wanted this story to have a happy ending or not. I will also be dealing with subjects like s∂x and drµgs, so if you're not comfortable with this, I suggest you don't read this story. This is a much darker story line than what I usually write, but I hope you'll like it anyway.

Third, my first language isn't english and please bear with me for any grammar mistakes or whatever. I'm trying to avoid mistakes/typos but I'm not perfect so.. yeah.

Last, I can't decide on which cover I should use, it would be so cool if you guys could vote for one of the four that I'm suggesting (see image).

That's pretty much it for now.
I'll see you in January !
Karry xx.

Twitter : K_xrry ;)

p.s.: If some of you want me to message you when this story officially starts, comment below! I understand that some people want to keep their library 'clean', so I have no problem messaging you in January <3