eight

Hope you'll like this chapter ! Comment your reactions along the way ? :) 

He leaned against his car, his arms crossed over his chest, his head hung low. My heartbeat increased, just like every time I caught a glimpse of this boy that I hated, but loved so much. His long hair was hiding his face and shielding him from seeing me coming out of the restaurant. I stopped in front of the main doors, hesitating between going to see him or walking away. No matter how mad I was at him, seeing him, even meters away, reignited the flames I was trying so hard to tame, and I couldn’t bring myself to walk away. There were questions left unanswered and I needed to change that. Even if it wasn’t the reason why he came here, I had the occasion to clear things up and I would seize it.

I started to walk in his direction, my feet hitting the ground in determination and making more noise than necessary. Harry looked up at the sound of my feet hitting the rocks and smiled softly. My willpower faltered and I slowed my walk as my eyes met his. How was I supposed to resist him when he looked at me, his eyes warm and filled with unspoken apologies? It was unsettling, but I couldn’t let this change my mind.

“Hey,” he said as I approached him. “Had a good day?”

I frowned. “Are you really going to pretend like nothing is seriously wrong right now?” I asked with my arms crossed over my chest.

Harry sighed and looked down, “Em-”

I raised my hand to stop him. “I don’t want to hear that you’re sorry, Harry. I want an explanation.”

How I managed to stand up to him was a complete mystery, but I guess the frustration I had built up during the day was spilling out now.

Harry reached for me but I took a step back. Hurt flashed through his eyes but he said nothing as he let his arm fall down to his side. We stayed there, staring at each other and expecting the other one to say something. It was Harry that sighed and broke the silence.

“Can we talk about this?”

I huffed. “I fully intend to get an explanation from you.”

He bit his lower lip. “Get in the car? We’ll talk about it.”

I looked at him hesitantly. Did I want to get in the car with him, with no escape? I sighed, knowing that my desire to have an explanation, combined with my everlasting need to be near him, would win over any arguments I could come up with.

Harry kept his eyes on me as I walked myself to the passenger’s door and once he realized what I was doing, he jogged to the driver’s seat and started the car.

While he was driving, Harry tried to make conversation, but I ignored him, I didn’t want to act as if nothing was wrong, as if he hadn’t hurt me. He made it hard to stay mad at him, there was so much pain and sorrow in his eyes that I only wanted to comfort him, but I had to hold my end.

“Don’t you want to know where we’re going?” he asked after a long silence between us.

I looked at him. His hands were on the stirring wheel and his gaze fixed on the road. A ghost of a smile played on his lips and I knew that he was playing with my curiosity. I had always been so curious about everything and he wasn’t wrong when he asked if I wanted to know where we were going. He knew me.

“Where are we going?” I asked.

“She talks!” He exclaimed and I rolled my eyes.

“Fine, don’t tell me,” I mumbled and turned to look out of the window again.

He put his hand on my thigh to catch my attention. “I was only joking, Em.”

“I’m mad at you Harry,” I told him while keeping my eyes on the side of the road.