~Be of the "Few" rather than the "Most" ~

What Most People Do

The Messenger of Allah (sal Allahu alaihi wa sallam) advised us to say at the conclusion of each prayer: "O Allah, help me in remembering You, in being grateful to You, and in serving You well." [Ahmad; al-Musnad]

Why do we need to ask Allah (subhana wa ta'ala) to help us with the above?

When Umar bin al-Khattab (radi Allahu anhu) was walking in the market, he passed by a man who was supplicating, "O Allah, make us of Your 'few' servants! O Allah make us of Your 'few' servants!"

So Umar (radi Allahu anhu) said to him, "Where did you get this Dua (supplication) from?" The man replied, "Allah in His Book says 'And few of My servants are grateful.'[34:13]" So Umar (radi Allahu anhu) wept and admonished himself, "The people are more knowledgeable than you, O Umar! O Allah make us of Your 'few' servants."

If you look for the words "most people" in the Quran, you will find that most people "do not know" [7:187], "do not give thanks" [2:243] and "do not believe" [11:17]. And if you look for "most of them", you will find that most of them are "defiantly disobedient" [5:59], "ignorant" [6:111], "turning away" [21:24], "do not reason" [29:23], and "do not listen" [8:21].

So be of the "few", about whom Allah says:

"And few of My servants are grateful." [34:13]

"But none had believed with him, except a few." [11:40]

"In the Gardens of Pleasure, A [large] company of the former peoples, And a few of the later peoples." [56:12-14]

Ibn al-Qayyim (rahmatullah alaihi) said, "Go on the path of truth and do not feel lonely because there are few who take that path, and beware of the path of falsehood and do not be deceived by the greatness of the perishers."