-Feeling a bit Distant from the Quran lately? Reconnect .

Allah (swt) mentions in the Quran about his Book, “And We send down of the Quran that which is a healing and a mercy to those who believe…” (al-Israa’ 17:82)

This [Qur'an] is enlightenment for mankind and guidance and mercy for a people who are certain [in faith].” (al-Jathiyah 45:20)

The month of Ramadan in which was revealed the Quran, a guidance for mankind and clear proofs for guidance and the criterion (between right and wrong) (al-Baqarah 2:185)

Ibn Abbas said, “The Messenger of Allah was the most generous person. He used to be most generous during Ramadhan when (the Angel) Jibril, peace be upon him, meets with him. He (Jibril) would then meet with him in every night during Ramadan and will study the Quran with him (the Prophet).” (Bukhari)

The Prophet Muhammad (saw) said, “Whoever reads a letter from the Book of Allah, he will have a reward. And that reward will be multiplied by ten. I am not saying that “Alif, Laam, Meem” is a letter, rather I am saying that “Alif” is a letter, “laam” is a letter and “meem” is a letter.” So increase your recitation of the Qur’an to gain these merits, and to gain the following merit as well.” (Tirmidhi)

And he (saw) said, “Verily the one who recites the Qur’an beautifully, smoothly, and precisely, he will be in the company of the noble and obedient angels. And as for the one who recites with difficulty, stammering or stumbling through its verses, then he will have TWICE that reward.” (Bukhari and Muslim)

Narrated Abdullah bin Masud: Allah’s Apostle said to me, “Recite (of the Qur’an) for me,” I said, “Shall I recite it to you although it had been revealed to you?” He said, “I like to hear (the Qur’an) from others.” (Bukhari)

*****

            The number of verses, narrations, and stories of the righteous that point to the significance of the Quran in the life of a Muslim are countless. The aforementioned were chosen here for a purpose. Muslims have often been encouraged to read and memorize the Quran, but the actual relationship with the Quran may have been less emphasized. The Quran has been described within itself as a mercy, a healing, guidance, enlightenment, the criterion, and clear proofs for guidance. How are we to take such fruit from our relationship with the Quran? We have to read it for understanding, reflection, comfort and practice. We should also read it for the reward itself and seek to better our recitation and memorization, but keep in mind that the foundation of our relationship with the Quran is to take heed of its lessons. How many times have you set a daily goal for reading the Quran, and how many times have you fallen short? Part of the reason people tend to become distanced from the Quran is they forget to enjoy it. They forget to taste its mercy, its healing, and its enlightenment. There is reward in reading it yourself as mentioned earlier, but the Prophet (saw) who the Quran was revealed to, also enjoyed listening to it from others. Subhan Allah!

The practical tips are as follows:

1.    If you’re starting from nothing, set aside at least 20 minutes a day to listen to the Quran from one of the reciters you enjoy most, while following along in the English translation if you don’t understand Arabic directly or need help concentrating.

If you already read the Quran daily, you may increase the time allotted to it according to your schedule. While you can read Quran any time, keep in mind Allah (swt) says, “Indeed, the Quran of fajr (dawn) is ever witnessed.” (Al-Israa’ 17:78) Even after you pray fajr, these early hours have blessings in them. Either way, insha Allah your time with the Quran will become something you look forward to.

2.    Keep a Quran Journal or Personal Blog where you write your reflections for the day on what you were able to read and/or listen to and try to find one way you can implement a single lesson for each day.

Living with the Quran is different than just reading it. Living with it means you interact with the verses, you allow yourself to see the connections to the words and your life. You will feel like the Quran speaks to your situation, your challenges and dilemmas directly if you approach the Quran with the sincere desire to find and follow its guidance, its mercy, and its healing. The Quran has not ceased to inspire its readers for well over a thousand years, and is still a primary cause of people entering Islam. Seek it’s inspiration, write about it, and desire to live it as one of your close companions.