Chapter Four: New Patrons

Isla of Sussex

January 28th, 2014

Being summoned to Her Majesty's office was one thing. Being summoned to Her Office while your nanny is out with the flu is another thing.

I held Diana on my hip as I walked up the stairs towards Her Majesty's office.

Diana looked around as she held on tightly to her blanket that she refused to give up. Once we got to Her Majesty's doors, her guards opened them and we stepped inside.

"Your Majesty," I said as I bowed my head.

"Isla! And little Diana. I wasn't expecting you two for another hour." She said as she stood up and walked over to us.

"Well when you are summed to your office you do not wait," I said as Diana whined as she tried to get out of my arms.

"Diana is what? Nine months now?"

"Yes, she crawls everywhere and usually requires four pairs of eyes on her all the time," I said with a laugh.

"Andrew was the same way as a child. Constantly on the move." She said and I smiled before bending down and placing Diana on the carpet. She stared up at me and grinned for a moment before I looked at Her Majesty.

"Every time I see you two together you always look so much in love with her." She said as I stood up.

"I love being her mum. It's the best job title in the world." I said and Her Majesty nodded.

"I invited you here today to speak with you about having more patrons and charities."

"I already have seven. Catherine just has about ten." I said and Her Majesty nodded.

"I am passing down one of my patrons onto you. The Royal National Theatre. It was one of my favorites but I am getting older and it's time for me to let some things go." She said and I smiled softly at her.

"Will I have to do another video announcing it?" I asked and Her Majesty nodded.

"Yes, and I believe it would be a good idea to have Diana in it."

"If only I can get her to stay still," I said with a laugh as the door opened and a small camera crew came inside. I watched Diana for a moment and she watched everyone with an interesting look on her face before smiling at them.

"She looks adorable with her four teeth smiling at them," Sarah said and I laughed as I scooped down and picked Diana up.

"The fourth one just came in a couple of days ago. She kept Harry and I up for two days straight because of her pain." I said as I stood up and Sarah fixed my side bun.

"Alright, Isla. We need you and little Diana right here in front of the window. And you will be using the same speech as you did when announcing those other two patrons." Christopher said and I held back myself rolling my eyes.

I walked with Diana over to our spot and Diana smiled up at me.

"Are you ready baby girl?" I whispered before I looked over at the camera. I watched as the cameraman counted down from five and I smiled.

"Hello everyone. For those who do not know me, I am Isla, The Duchess of Sussex and this is my daughter Diana. For many years Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II has been the patron of The Royal National Theatre." I began as I watched Diana snuggle into my neck.

"And it is with great honor and great pleasure to announce that Her Majesty has passed down the patron to me. I could not be any happier for I have grown to love the theatre very much. When I was in secondary school I participated in many plays." I added with a smile.

"When I return from my two-week tour of Denmark I will gladly pay a visit to the theatre and hopefully take this little one with me to see a play. Thank you all and I will see you very soon." I finished as the red light went off.

"You always do wonders in front of the camera, Isla." Her Majesty said as Diana reached out for her. I watched her for a moment before she took Diana out of my arms.

"I am more relaxed in an environment I can personally control," I explained and Her Majesty chuckled softly.

"Have you decided what crowns you are going to take with you on the tour?"

"Yes, the Stratum Rose Tiara along with the Spencer Tiara," I stated as I picked up Diana's blanket that fell on the ground.

"Wonderful, you two have done such a wonderful job making the bridge with us and Sweden and I have no doubt you won't do the same with Denmark." She said as she handed Diana back to me.

"Thank you, Your Majesty. For the patron, I will do you proud." I said as Sarah walked over and helped me put Diana in her coat.

"I shall see you the day before you leave. If I do not have safe travels and be well." Her Majesty said and I dipped into a small curtsy before walking out of her office.

I slipped into my coat and held Diana close to me.

"Sometimes I wish you could already walk so I don't have to carry you anymore but then after you start walking you won't want me to carry you anymore. So I will hold on just a while longer." I whispered as we walked down the main staircase and out of the palace.

My car was already pulled up and I slipped Diana into her car seat and buckled her in before closing the door and getting into the driver's seat.

It only took ten minutes to get back to the apartment and Diana did not have a single meltdown. After parking the car I grabbed Diana's diaper bag and shoved my clutch in there. I unbuckled Diana before scooping her into my arms and walked to the door.

It swung opened and I smiled when I saw my mum standing next to Harry.

"Mum! What are you doing here?" I asked as she kissed my cheek and took Diana from me.

"Came to see my little granddaughter before you leave for two weeks. Sí, la Abuela vino a verte." (Yes, grandma came to see you.) She said to Diana as Harry took my bag.

"Why did Granny want to see you?" He asked and I smiled at him.

"I have one of her patrons now," I whispered and Harry grinned.

"I always knew we were her favorites."