Chapter Thirty-One: Well Child Ceremony

Isla of Sussex

September 22nd, 2014

As the car stopped in front of the Hilton I took a deep breath. My security detail opened my door and I quickly scooted to the end of the seat before climbing out of the car. Harry was waiting for me at the side.

I waved to the crowd that was waiting for us before I followed Harry up the stairs and we stepped inside.

Waiting for us were all of the winners to the WellChilds Award.

"Your Royal Highnesses, welcome!" Andrew Osborne said as he walked towards and shook our hands.

"Hello! Thanks so much for having us." Harry said before Andrew turned to me.

"It means a lot to be here," I confessed and Andrew chuckled.

"Are you ready for your speech?" He asked and I smiled softly at him.

"I am, I am very excited to be speaking," I replied and he grinned before clearing his throat.

"I would like you two to meet Carson Hartley." He said as a little boy came with something hooked on his back. I stared at him for a moment before smiling.

"Hello, Carson. Do you know who we are?" Harry asked as he bent down in front of him and I quickly followed him.

"You're Prince Harry!" Carson said as he threw his arms around Harry and hugged him close. I smiled as Harry hugged Carson before the two of them broke apart and Carson turned to me.

He stopped and wrapped his arms around me and I hugged him as tightly as I could without hurting him.

"Are you ready for the ceremony tonight?" I asked as Carson's parents stepped towards us and Harry quickly shook their hands.

"Yea!" Carson said as he gave Harry a high-five.

"Do you want to know something Carson?" Harry asked as I hugged Carson's mother and said hello to his father.

"Yea?"

"I find you so inspirational for still being so happy," Harry said and Carson blushed before looking to his parents.

"But also we must recognize how hard it must be on you two. How old is he?"

"Carson just turned four." His mother said and I smiled as I looked down at the little boy and cleared my throat as I blinked the tears away.

"Alright now everyone. We have to take our seat for the awards." Andrew said and I nodded as I slipped my coat off and followed Harry to our table.

I waved to the children who were sitting with their parents before the lights lowered and I watched as Andrew stepped onto the stage.

"Welcome everyone! Welcome! I thank you all for being here tonight! Tonight we celebrate all of the children who are seriously ill and their parents who have suffered as much as the children have." He began and I clapped softly.

"Tonight we have the honor of hosting our patron Prince Harry, the Duke of Sussex along with his wife Isla, the Duchess of Sussex who will also be giving a speech. But before we hear the speech we shall start with some of the awards." He finished before someone else climbed on the stage.

As Andrew walked off the stage he made his way over to the table and sat to my left.

"Isla, you do remember that you are presenting Carson with the Inspirational Child 4-6 years right?" He asked and I nodded.

"I know, I am giving my speech and then presenting him correct?" I asked as I watched a little girl walk onto the stage and grab her award.

"She'll do amazing," Harry said and I reached over and squeezed his hand.

Twenty minutes later I watched as Harry stood up and walked on the stage where everyone clapped like crazy.

"Good evening everyone! It is so wonderful to be here. Usually, I would be giving the speech and presenting the Inspirational Child 4-6 years award but this year it is the honor to say my wife will be giving the award. So please welcome my wife Isla to the stage." He announced and I stood up and made my way to the stage.

I winked at Harry before looking over at the crowd.

"Hello everyone. How are you guys tonight?" I began and I grinned as everyone responded.

"Good, last year I was so sad I could not be here so I am thankful I could be here tonight. When I heard they had picked the winners I had asked to see the files of everyone so I may know their stories. When I read this young boy's file my heart broke not only for him but for his parents as well."

"This young boy from a very young has suffered from a heart defect and finally has been fitted with a portable ventilator can now have his normal life. Meeting him tonight and seeing him run to greet my husband and me, I truly had to hold back tears."

"Carson Hartley is four years old. And though he is about three years older than my own daughter Diana, I cannot imagine what his parents have done to make sure he has everything he needs. To make sure he is happy and loved." I added as I had to wipe a tear away.

"So without further ado, I am so happy to present Carson Hartley with the award of Inspirational Child 4-6-year-old." I finished as I clapped my hands.

I watched as Carson made his way up to the stage. I grabbed the award before bending down in front of him and handing him the award.

"Congratulations Carson!" I said and he grinned up at me before he hugged me. I sighed softly as I blinked away tears and hugged him back.

When we pulled apart I helped him off the stage and walked with him back to his table. He quickly showed his parents the award and I laughed.

"You deserve it kid. You truly did." I whispered as I ruffled his hair before turning back to my table. Harry pulled me down close to him and gave me a quick kiss to my cheek.

"I told you that you would be wonderful."