Chapter 29

Hello!

Check out the trailer to the side by @Raiyuu!

I'm entering this book in the Wattys! It's going to be a challenge to finish it in time, but having a deadline might help me be more motivated.

That also means your votes are appreciated more than ever! If you could even go back to vote on chapters you might not have voted on, that would be awesome! (Of course, this is only if you think this story deserves it) :)

-------------

Recap:

With the upcoming attack and no chance of winning a military battle against their enemy, the citizens of Sol are all leaving for the safety of the forest as neither Chase, Bree, or Anselm can figure out a better plan. Bree decides to be more annoying than usual (!) and gets into an argument with Hailey and Chase. Afterwards, Chase convinces Hailey to join everyone in the forest even if he and other officials still have things to do out in the city.

--------------

Chapter 29

Chase and I had to fly relatively low to avoid being spotted by any enemy scouts, but I still was able to get a clear sight of the area all around the castle. The paved plaza was now empty, all of the civilians having been evacuated. Now, only only a few men carrying supplies and some soldiers remained around the castle.

The yellow-winged messenger passed us going the other way and yelled, "Final check of the area positive, none remaining."

Chase send him a, "Got it, thanks," and pulled a bit on my hand to get me to start flying lower.

In front of us stood the tall trees of the forest, into which people were filling in an orderly fashion while someone counted each of them.

We landed of the dew-covered grass, and I reluctantly let go of Chase's hand.

"What time is it?" I randomly asked, trying to pat down my messy hair. I really needed to remember to put my hair up when I flew. The wind tangled it like crazy.

"Around five. Sunrise's in a little less than an hour."

It occurred to me that some people here might not live to see that sunrise, but I pushed the thought out of my head.

"Thanks." My mouth felt dry. "How long left again?"

I didn't have to precise 'left for what', Chase already knew.

"I think you don't need to know right now. Just let me worry about that part. Why don't you go and talk to these people? They could use some reassuring right now."

I sighed. "Honestly, I can't think of anything comforting to say."

"Then, don't. Just stand among them, show them you're on their side, be strong."

"Thanks," I gave him a weak smile.

Chase leaned towards me and softly brushed a strand of hair away from my face, before pulling back abruptly and sighing.

"I need to go back. Bree's mad at me enough as it is."

I managed a nod. For some reason my throat felt even dryer than before, and I didn't think I could manage a word right now.

As Chase flew off, I turned back to the people filing into the forest. Almost everyone was now in there, but I couldn't help but worry how effective this would be. I put a brave smile, and... was tackled into a hug.

"Hailey," Autumn exclaimed, "I'm so glad you're okay! I got caught up with the flow of people, and then you were gone, and I-"

I raised my hand to stop her rambling. It occurred to me that even though she had been pretty quiet at first, Autumn now proved to be quite a bundle of energy and could run her mouth as well as anyone else I knew.