Chapter 31

Hey! Surprise, here's the next chapter one week early! :D *throws confetti*
This surprise chapter is dedicated to all of you who left me heartwarming and inspiring comments and reviews! (Even if you had some constructive criticism to make, because I appreciate that too!)
Even if I can't reply to every single one of them, I read (and appreciate) them all!

Also, thanks for keeping me so high on the What's Hot list all week!!!

Enjoy!
--------------
Recap:
Enemies are about to attack Sol (hopefully you got that part). Hailey gets the idea of sending a message to be intercepted by the enemy, telling them that the king is not in Sol (so basically it would be a waste of man power and time to attack it). Said message is sent via bat-mail (not to be confused with Batman's batmail).
Are these recaps even helpful?
-------------
Chapter 31

The letter to inform our enemies of the king's absence had been sent, and a majority of the citizens of Sol, flanked by armed soldiers, were currently heading in the dark to the nearest town, which was further in land and thus not directly threatened by the coastal attack. However, since flying would make people too noticeable and was unpractical if they wanted to stay in the cover of trees, they faced a long hour of walking before they could reach it.

Despite Chase's pleas, I had decided to stay into the Forest along with a few other citizens, castle workers, and five elders who were too old to walk so far yet refused to be carried on perytonback, wanting to leave them free for the younger children. Autumn also remained, saying she wouldn't leave me alone and wanted to keep an eye on her older brother anyway.

My main reason for not leaving for the safety of the other town was that I wanted to see first hand how my plan worked. Another was that I felt it my responsibility as a princess to support my people where they were in the most danger. The last reason, which I was shameful to acknowledge, was a case of pride.

Bree had commented, "You should get a move on, Princess. People are already starting to leave to head to the next town, and there are scarier things than bats coming." After that, there was no way I could have left.

Most of the Junior troops had stayed as well, 'just in case.' In case of what, I didn't know, but everyone hoped their presence would end up not being needed. While most were inside the forest, though, the Elite Archers, a group of twelve warriors, of whom I only knew Lance and Aiden, were apparently lying in wait at the top of the trees on the edge of the forest, arrows at the ready.

As for Anselm, he had been last seen reentering the castle, and a broad shouldered messenger had volunteered to go get him. The overall opinion was that he must not have been able to make himself abandon the castle.

I was currently standing with a few other people on a wooden platform, high in the trees, from which which we could just see the horizon above the treeline of the forest.

I stood on tiptoes, trying to see above a few overgrown branches. The sky was still calm, but the forest was tense.

A mass of dark shadow crept stealthily above the horizon, and the sharp cry of a bat broke the silence making me jump.

"There they are," Someone pointed.

What I had mistaken for a cluster of storm clouds was actually an advancing army, which seemed much more imposing now that I was really seeing them, rather than just hearing about them.

I swallowed nervously. Was my idea going to work?

Momentarily, the advancing black line paused.

For what seemed like an eternity, the black veil of enemy lines hung still, as if deciding whether to suffocate us or let itself be carried away by the wind.