Chapter 14

Chapter 14

When I left the king's office, I saw Aiden was talking with the guard. He grinned at me.

"Hey there, Hailey! I'm here to take you back to your room in this maze we call a castle."

After saying goodbye to the guard, we started back towards what I supposed was the direction of my room.

"So, what did the king talk to you about?" Aiden asked carelessly.

I hesitated. Was I allowed to tell him about my ties with the king, yet? He would know in a few hours anyway, so I concluded I was.

"He wanted to tell me... about his relation to me."

Aiden frowned. "What's that mean?"

"I'm his granddaughter."

Aiden froze and looked at me, astonished.

"You're his what? Wait, really? I didn't even know the king had a granddaughter! Wait, so how are you related? Oh, well, through your mom obviously, since the king has no living sons. So, then, who's your mom? I guess it would be Delilah, right? I mean, -"

I laughed, interrupting him, "Woah, there, Aiden. You need to slow down. And yes, my mom's Delilah."

He nodded, recovering from his surprise, and we resumed walking.

"Wow, that's so weird. I mean, I think it's great that you're our new princess and all, I just didn't expect it... Does Chase know?" I nodded, and he laughed. "Man, I would have loved to see you guys' faces when you learned who you were!"

"Well, I can tell you our reactions weren't half as funny as yours!" I teased him.

"It was unexpected, okay?"

"Great excuse, Aiden, it was totally expected for me."

"You know what I mean! You just dropped it down on me without warning!"

I laughed.

"When are the rest of the Winged gonna know?" Aiden asked.

I shrugged. "Apparently there's a banquet tonight. The king will announce it then."

Aiden nodded and led me through a guarded archway, though I could have swore the one I passed through with Chase was a bit different.

"Hey, Aiden?" I asked after a little while, looking around me. "Are you sure this is the right way? I mean I don't know my way around here at all, but I'm pretty sure Chase and I didn't go through this way earlier."

Aiden stopped and looked around thoughtfully. He walked forward a few steps, a confused expression on his face, before turning to me.

"We're lost." He said dejectedly, leaning against the wall.

"Are you serious?" I shook my head in disbelief. I turned around and walked a few steps back, determined to find someone who knew their way around better, when I heard the sounds of foot steps rapidly hitting the floor and Aiden's laugh ringing through the hallway.

I whipped around to see a flash of red wings taking a right turn, and I sprinted after him.

"Aiden!" I yelled after him in frustration. I turned right as well, but he was nowhere in sight.

I sighed.

"Boo!" Aiden yelled, jumping out from behind me.

I let out a high pitched scream and turned around in fright.

"Aiden..." I whined as he burst out laughing.

"Sorry, Hailey, you're just too easy to prank." Aiden said, preening his red, going on orange, wings with a satisfied air.