Chapter Thirty Six

--Emmett's POV--
I sat rigid for with him here on the ground for at least three hours, he had grown silent around the two and a half mark when Daniel had came by to talk about where they planned to put Cressida, in his favourite spot under the giant oak tree on the beachy sand near the guest where I once found him sitting under and reading.

"Do you want me to take care of your paperwork? I can call to cancel the coronation in advance and postpone the wedding" I offered eyeing the huge stack of files sitting on his desk, he didn't respond he just remained sitting on the couch staring down at the floor before rolling over and curling up presumely going to sleep

I took it upon myself to sort through the files of those ressurected in the illegal demonoid projects filing the papers into the correct files and placing them into alphabetical order on one side of the desk. I caught sight of an envelope from the medical centre wedged under the lamp, I slid it out from its hiding spot and carefully unsealed it.

It seemed as though it was medical report on a test performed on Lucien labelled L.G.P.P.S or Lucifer Genetic Possession Progression Status. I continued on reading the info enclosed with the report.

My Lord and Ruler,

I have grave news regarding your results, the Lucifer gene inside of you that changed your father to the evil dictator he was, has started showing signs in your blood and mutating fast.. I request that you please return when you can for a brain scan to test the progression in your brain patterns.

Yours truly Igneus.

The sheet of paper slipped out of my fingers and I collapsed into his desk chair shaking more than a leaf on a windy day chest squeezing together tightly blocking any air from entering my lungs and I was suffocating under the fear and panic blanketing my entire being.

Of all times to find this out, it's when we have lost someone so dearest to us that would know how to handle a situation like this with humour and the smile that made the sun look dim.

"Emmett, what are you reading?" I looked up to find Lucien standing over me all misty eyed and exhausted peering down at the letter on the floor.

"You didn't tell me..about your health, I thought relationships were about honesty" My throat clamped together and my words came out as a forced squeak.

"I didn't want to upset you or panic you, I don't want to risk you doing something silly to try and fix it. You shouldn't have to know that I'm going turn into monster and tha I have no control over it" tears were starting well up in his eyes again kneeling down to my level.

"I can't stand to see you look at me like the way you looked at Nethers, I couldn't live with myself if you hated me with the passion that you do against them" A broken sob escaped his mouth and his head dropped to rest on my knees.

"I love you Lucien, not Satan not Lucifer. Lucien Azaia Mordecai, Leader of the Washington D.C Demonoid Bureau of Mercenaries and the one I plan to marry and hopefully give plenty of happy and healthy children to." I sighed resting my forehead on top of his head wrapping a hand around the nape of his neck to rub comfortingly until the grieving tears subsided.

"I think..we need to permanently move our team over to California. We work better here and..I think we'd rather stay close to those we love." Lucien mumbled into his hands.

"I have no family, I have Nick and his dad. Then there's you, the one I can really call mine and someone who wants me back" I laughed stroking the back of his hair softly tilting his head up to look at him.

"Hey, I know you're supposed to be resting but..you're parents are here" Juvia poked her head into the study, Lucien's breathing hitched and he stood up.

"Thanks, I'll get to it" He nodded forcing a smile onto his lips and Juvia returned with a sad smile closing the door behind her.

"Will you be okay? I'll come down with you" I offered easing myself out of his chair holding a hand to the stitches over my stomach.
"No, You need to rest. I can take care of them, please go back to bed" He ordered pressing his lips to my forehead.

"But I want to, Cressida was my brother in law too " I protested standing in the doorway.

"Please, I ask you just this one time to trust me. I don't want you to blame yourself for any of this" He cupped my jaw in his hand brushing his thumb over my cheek.

"A bit late for that." I mumbled trying to ignore the sick feeling churning in my stomach.

"Emmett, You didn't cause this. We blame the Nethers, Cressida wouldn't of wanted you to suffer with self loathing. He trusted you and since our father abandoned us years ago you were the only one he warmed up to you as family" He dropped his hands to my waist.

"But I should of fought back! I could of saved him! I'm supposed to be the dark fire magic demonoid and I can't even protect my friends" I clenched my hands into fists banging my head back against the door.

"Listen to me, You were bleeding to death on a cold stone for days, we were lucky that you made it out alive." He pulled me away from the door and opened it.

"I'll find a way to bring him back, at any costs" I turned and padded back to the bedroom flopping down on the bed reaching for my cellphone to dial Nick's number.

"Emmett! Hi, I haven't spoken to you in a bit. I heard from Cressida about Lucien! Engaged! I'm so happy for you, are we gonna be your groomsmen?" He giggled against the loud thumping in the background sounding a lot like house music.

"Are you at a night club?" I asked laughing quietly laying up against the pillow wincing at the dull ache in my side.

"Yeah! First time since I got out fully since I was released, but you should of been here! You were in California you could of easily apparated to San Diego to visit!" He laughed again yelling something to someone in the background, I forgot that no one told him about where I was to avoid setting off another breakdown.

"Nick." I hesitated and I heard his breathing hitch from the other end and that sick feeling grew more unbearable.

"What's wrong Em? You never seem this distraught" His voice lowered dangerously with worry.

"It's Cressida, the mission..it was to retrieve me from the Nethers..and it went south, he didn't make it out. I'm sorry buddy, it's all my fault" I buried my face in my free hand swallowing the lump lodging itself in my throat.

"Oh god, it was him wasn't it! It's Tommy coming after us for vengence!" He yelped hysterically sounding like he was slamming into a metal door and running on pavement.

"Listen to me Nick, we've been through this before and you've only just managed to break free of the asylum and the bureau itself, he won't get to you. Not if I can help it." I soothed trying to calm the broken boy on the verge of a relapse in mental health.

"But he will get to all of us! Lux, Wendell, Riley, Zephyr, Valley even Ren!" He wailed panting unvenly into the phone.

"I..I killed Lux, in the Defense Force survival battles. I'm a monster, I've killed two people now" I admitted feeling a new weight of guilt fall onto me as the line went silent.

"Emmett, Lux wasn't your fault. Cressida wasn't either. It's just us, we're bad luck. We've broken families and people have died. It's better if we just died." A choked sob crackled through the line and it felt like I had taken a knife to the heart until I hit with a sudden idea.

"I have..a proposition for us, and it requires your knowledge of a certain object."