Chapter Ten

(Lucien's Point Of View)

I sat through my piles of unsorted files splayed across my desk from being neglected for two days, I could feel the intense loneliness drilling into my stomach. My actions toward Emmett were entirely uncalled for and hurtful after taking advantage of him the night before.

"Mister Mordecai sir. We've allocated you a new assistant, and her parents have also consulted with the high council to become your wife" The other higher up named Samson stood in the doorway with his arms folded.

"I told you. I don't want a new assistant nor do I want a new mate. I already have the one and now he is upset with me" I grunted not looking up from my files clenching my hand into a fist.

"We've put him back into the field under Vincent." Samson inclined his head slightly stepping out of the doorway and headed down the hall.

I slammed down my pen and got up from the chair "Insolent assholes" I cursed snapping my fingers together and I lit up in flames as my office metled away and the council manor came into view. It had been a few months since I had been to hell itself, the sky was covered in red clouds in never ending darkness the only sources of light were the bright street lamps in the streets of the Demonoid dwellings.

My suit faded away into my burgandy velvet coat that flapped at my ankles as I stormed in the direction of the manor. I could feel my body heat sink away until my skin was its natural ashen grey with the contrasting black eyes and golden pentagrams burned into my irises.

"There better be a good reason why you fools are making my life decisions for me!" I roared slamming open the doors to the council chambers.

"Because you are only young." The high council member glared dangerously at me, I scoffed rudely clenching my hands tighter.

"I am over two hundred years old and might I add outrank all of you put together! And as long as he isn't here I make the calls around here! Hopefully the treatment of people will be better! Starting with my true mate!" I snarled back at him earning a small flinch from the other members.

"I will not tolerate the mistreatment of fértiles no more! If there are any prisoners here right now you let them go!" I ordered loud enough to dislodge a few pieces of stone from the wall sending a few younger members scurrying for the exit.

I heard banging around in the foyer before the doors swung open as Vincent ran into the chambers "This is bad High Chancellor sir!" He dropped to his knee bowing his head to us.

"What's wrong." I growled in annoyance at Vincent's force of habit to report to the chancellor instead of myself.

"We sent Emmett out into the field to take care of some Nether's..He was injured quite badly but. It's the footage I received is what's alarming" Vincent gulped visibly dropping his head further.

"

Where is he!" I barked and Vincent jumped slightly rising to his feet.

"W-We had to bring him down here because we have to use enchantments to keep him restrained and sedated to treat him in the infirmatory here in Hell" He mumbled averting his gaze from me.

"Take me to him" I nudged Vincent towards the door and he immediately complied jogging out into the foyer.

"My Lord, I'm sorry for taking so long" One of the infirmatory assistants bowed as we reached the infirmatory entrance.

"It's fine. Let me see him" I fidgetted on my feet impatiently.

"You can't touch him, even with someone like you." She inclined her head shamefully pushing open the door to the infirmatory. Doctors were buzzing around everywhere around the room carrying equipments and medicines.

"Igneus. How is he?" I grabbed hold of one of the older doctors as they walked past.

"We've managed to stabilize him. His ribs are shattered, he has damage to his spine and pelvis. And a deep stab wound to his shoulder that broke through the bone, his lung had collapsed from the pressure and his body temperature is over 150 degrees celsius" The doctor flipped through the clipboard he had in his hand.

"Am I able to see him?" I urged growing extremely anxious just standing here doing absolutely nothing.

"From what I've heard. I don't think he would appreciate it" A brief flash of anger flickered across his features.

"That isn't your business Igneus, I just need to see him" I begged wringing my hands together.

"This is why you don't make a good dictator" He laughed walking towards one of the doors to the rooms.

"You're not very nice Igneus" I pouted following him into the private room. The room was darkened aside from the lamp lit next to the bed, the erratic beeps of the heart monitor flashed across the screen near the bed. Emmett was laid out under a thin blanket with his head propped up on multiple pillows looking way too frail in the bed with a tube forced down my throat and a cold compress pressed to his forehead, his torso was bandaged with yet another tube leading out from the bandaging with his arm rested through a sling.

"Can I touch him?" I swallowed the lump rising in my throat with the guilt churning around in my stomach.

"His hands and face, otherwise everywhere else is off limits" Igneus sat the clipboard down on the bedside table.

"Thanks" I mumbled dragging a chair over to the side of the bed, I heard the click of the door shutting behind Igneus and I sighed "I'm an asshole, an insensitive asshole" I muttered hesitantly reaching out to rest my hand over his heated fingers "I will find a way to make this up to you, I promise" I squeezed his hand watching the faint shimmer of the enchantment binding his wrists.