Don't Cry For Him

A/N Hey! This isn't edited yet, so feel free to point out any mistakes. It's almost done you guys! Only... like 3 or 4 more chapters left after this one! -

Chapter 28- Don't Cry For Him

When I come to, everything is dark. I don't know where I am or how long I was out. The ground is cold, wet and a steady drip is the only sound being made aside from my own quick breath. I blink a few times in hopes that my eyes will adjust to some amount of light, but they don't. Everything around me remains dark. Pitch black.

Without sight, I start to feel around for some clue as to where I am or how to escape. The floor is made of brick or cobblestone of some sort; I can feel the distinct divots between each block. The wall behind me is made of the same brick and slowly I reach up to get a feel for the height. I don't hope for a window, as one of those would allow some light to enter my prison, but maybe an air vent I could use to escape

Shifting metal clanks together at my feet and echoes off the walls of my prison. I didn't realize it before, but now with my movement I can feel that the chain must be attached to me. I lean down to feel for the chain. The shackle it's secured to is locked around my ankle. I don't have more than four or five feet of length to the chain.

The lock around my ankle is loose and gives plenty of room. Realizing how big the clamp is, I try to squeeze my foot through. It's almost loose enough to slip through, but just not. Damn it!

"Hello?" I test out, my voice still sounds raw. Probably thanks to the profanities I was yelling at Housen when he threatened my friends.

Then the reality hits me. Oh my God, my friends. Chase. What if they're hurt... or dead?

No. Not possible.

Chase wouldn't go down and neither would Andrew or Jess. And would the shifters really pull such a blatant attack on then in broad daylight in one of the busiest cities? No. No, they have to be ok. Chase wouldn't allow himself to be taken by surprise in the way that I was. He grew up training to be the badass vampire he is. Vampires don't lose to shifters. They just don't.

No sound answers my voice except for the echo of my own words and my heart slows mildly knowing they aren't locked in hear with me. If they aren't in here with me, that means they got away. They had to get away. They'll be looking for me. Chase wouldn't just let me walk into a building and never walk back out. He'll find me and then we really will start a war. It just won't be with the humans.

Being a Mage would be really nice right about now. I could just magic my way out of here like Houdini. But maybe I can at least get a better view. I call on my Fae power and wait for my eyes to begin to glow. Their glow should light up the room enough for me to get a better feel for where I am.

Nothing happens.

Wherever I am must be spelled in the same way that the warehouse was.

Shit. Shit.

With a sigh of frustration, I carefully walk as far as my chain will allow me to go. I don't know what I'm hoping to find. I guess I'm just searching for something useful when suddenly a door I didn't know existed swings open and blinding light pours in. I flinch away from the painful light and squeeze my eyes shut.

I hear Fredrick Housen before I can make him out in the doorway. He's laughing—a sound that is quickly becoming my least favorite thing in the universe. About the same time my eyes adjust enough to make out his silhouette, he storms into the room he has me locked in and pins me to the wall behind me. A cry leaves my throat involuntarily when he slams my head against the cement.