Don't Be Nervous

Chapter 14

"I can't do it," I groan frustrated and flop back on the bed.

"You can," Chase insists. He grabs my wrists and forces me to sit back up. "Try again. Close your eyes and focus."  I give him a dirty look but close my eyes anyway and try to do as he says. We've been trying to get my fangs to come out for a half hour now, but it's not working so well which is a total downer because having fangs is, like, Vampire 101.

"Maybe it was a fluke," I say the barest hint of hope in my voice. Chase gives me a look that conveys just how dumb he thinks I'm being without saying a word. It's a skill, truly.

The room is silent and I try to focus on hearing the sound of Chase's blood flowing through his veins. Honestly, the whole thing still kind of creeps me out. After a moment of listening I narrow in on the sound of his pulsing blood and... I feel nothing. I don't crave it or think it sounds tasty. Nothing.

"If you would actually focus on the task at hand... " He barks out in frustration after another five minutes without progress. I open my eyes just in time to see Chase bite down onto his lip just hard enough to draw blood.

Of their own accord my teeth grow into fangs the second the scent of his blood fills my senses. Without realizing what I'm doing my body moves closer to Chase, closer to his blood ready to strike. My tongue darts out, wetting my lips as I watch a drop of blood form on his. I'm equal parts appalled by my behavior and into this. 

"Stop," he orders, and though I'm more myself than I was yesterday, I'm not stopping. I could just get a little closer and lick it up. It could be the best of both worlds; kissing Chase and tasting him. I position myself and move to attack but before my fangs can reach their destination Chases hand reaches out in a blur and he grabs my jaw just tightly enough that I stop inches from his face. "You need to focus," he says looking into my eyes.

I hear his words, but I don't care my sole focus is on the pulse throbbing in his throat. I don't want to focus on anything except for that. All I want to do is sink my teeth into his neck and taste him. I snap my teeth in his direction but instead of feeling intimidated the asshole laughs.

"You need to see past the bloodlust Aurora. You need to keep your head."

Somewhere in my subconscious I recognize that he's right and I need to look past my clouded vision, but I can't. I snap at him again and try to work myself out of his grip so that I can get what I want. His fingers tighten marginally as if to reassert his dominance- to let me know that of the two of us, he is the stronger and I'm not going anywhere without his permission. The fact that I realize this only pisses me off further and I wrestle against him, swiping my nails at his face.

Chase quickly subdues my attack by catching my wrists and restraining me with his free hand. He knows me well enough now to anticipate every move I'll make and stop me before it begins. I know I'm not going anywhere until I can clear my mind of the lust for his blood.

"If you don't you'll end up with countless deaths on your hands," he says losing all amusement from his tone and somehow that threat- that promise- gets through to me.  I let out a disgruntled moan but manage to force myself to pay attention to Chase and not his blood.

"Okay," I say tightly when I'm certain I have control of myself. Chase lets go of me, but he stays alert and aware of every part of me in case I attack. Keeping control is much easier now that he's no longer bleeding. Though the scent is still in the air it's not nearly as potent and captivating as it was mere moments ago.

"You'll have to feed off of humans," he tells me what I already know. If this were more ideal conditions I could find a community of Supernaturals to live around and feed off of with permission, but considering what I am, it'd be best to avoid other Supernaturals at all costs. "You're a beginner, so you'll be sloppy. It'll be easiest if you can find a guy at a bar, one who's had a couple drinks and won't realize what's going on if you screw up. You take him somewhere quiet and dark, you'll need to influence his emotions so he doesn't feel the pain. It'll take some concentration, but you also need to pay very close attention to his pulse. When it starts to slow you need to stop. Do you understand me?" I nod in reply.