The Date

Maggie had woken up around nine, put her dressing gown on and went downstairs to relieve her daughter so she could shower. Rachel must have been in there for five minutest when her mother opened the front door to Danny. She looked completely lost until she saw Tommy and her face lit up, Maggie wanted to hit her and felt sorry for her at the same time.

She cooed over Tommy in the kitchen while her ex-ish future mother in law made coffee in silence, placing her cup on the table just close enough for her to reach it but out of reach of the baby.

"Thank you."

"What for? The coffee? Or coming to help my daughter and grandson."

"Both."

"You said you had this under control. Look at me." She said sternly. "Did you sleep with her?"

"No." Danny shook her head but kept eye contact with her, willing her to believe it.

"Did you kiss her?"

"Yes. I kissed her back briefly when she kissed me and then I walked away."

"I don't know what to say to you."

"Don't worry, there's nothing you can say to make me feel any worse. I'll do whatever she wants but I don't know how to fix this.

"Do you love Rachel?"

"You know I do, more than myself."

"Then you need to figure out a way to show her. I've got to go and pack, I need to get home and get organised for this bloody wedding. Don't give up hope, take whatever punishment she wants to give you and just be there for her."

Danny nodded unable to form words for fear she'd start crying again and she had to be strong, she needed to woman up for the sake of the little one she held in her arms. Tommy gurgled away happily and made faces at her, she hoped he was smiling but it was probably wind.

Letting him wrap his little hand around her finger while she rocked him, the photographer almost felt content when Rachel came into the kitchen, her hair wrapped up in a towel. Making herself a cup of tea, she walked into the lounge and Danny didn't know wether to follow her or not. Whilst Tommy was settled she decided on staying where she was and let Rachel have the control of starting conversation. This was going to be a long day.

Around eleven Tommy started to grizzle, she knew he was hungry and had no choice but to take him to her, at the moment Rachel only allowed formula at night so she could get some sleep.

Looking up as Danny came towards her with the baby, she took him from her and got into position to undo her bra.

"Can you turn around please."

"Oh come on!"

"Actually can you wait in the kitchen until he's done."

She turned and walked away, frustrated at not being able to do anything different, feeling like a stranger in her own home. Rachel could barely look at her but she needed to be with their son, he was the only good thing she had going right now so she'd put up with it.

Hearing movement a little while later, she didn't dare leave the kitchen and then Rachel was stood in front of her. All she wanted to do was reach out and touch her, hold her close and comfort her but she couldn't be that person for her right now and she hated it.

"He's asleep so I've put him down. You can go now."

"Is that I can go if I want to or you want me to leave?"

"Don't be cute Dan."

"Please, just let me stay. I'll kip on the sofa, I can help with Tommy."

"I don't think that's a good idea."