CH27: Fighting More Than Tom And Jerry

Newt, Minho, Gally and Clint got up immediately and started yelling. Alby was trying to calm the down but was failing miserably. The blond dude was rolling his eyes at their behavior.

"Stop!", I finally yelled.

Everybody stopped and Minho, Newt, Gally and Clint glared at me.

Damn, that actually worked.

"Can I have a minute alone with my sister, please", Newt gritted out through his teeth.

Gally and Clint glared at me.

Everyone obliged, except Minho. He stayed behind and by the looks of it, Newt didn't mind.

"What are you doing?", he asks, scarily calm.

"They said that I could choose any job I liked and-"

"I know what they said!", Newt explodes.

"You mean, 'I know what we said'", I remind him.

"Well, I revoke what I said", Newt says. "Millie, what's gotten into you! The maze is unlike anything you've ever faced before."

"Don't you think I know that?", I snap. "Give me one good reason I can't be a Runner. One good reason I shouldn't be a Runner."

"One reason? Fine here's one. You're-"

"A girl? You'll have to do better than that Newt."

"No. That wasn't what I was going to say. I was going to say that you're my sister, and Mil, I don't know what I'd do if something happened to you because you're the only thing keeping me sane."

"Newt..."

"Why do you even want this job?", he asks.

That's a question I asked myself, too. Even after a lot of thought, I couldn't find the answer.

"I-I don't know. It just feels right. I t feels like this was something I was meant to do. I can help Newt."

Newt sighs. He looked like he knew better than to argue with me.

"Fine. Do what you want to do", he walks out despondently.

Leaving me behind to face Minho.

*****

"I don't even know where to start", Minho shakes his head.

"How about we jump to the part where you accept what's happening."

"HOW AM I SUPPOSED TO ACCEPT WHAT'S HAPPENING!?"

"Min-"

"I don't want to hear it!", he yells, making me flinch. "Did you think about any of us? Did you think about Newt, your brother, who loves you more than anything? About Clint, your best friend?", he asks. "Did you think of me?", he whispers softly this time. "The guy who is in love with you? Who will not forgive himself if something happened to you in the Maze, because he could have actually done something unlike the others in the Glade who aren't Runners?"

"Please, Min."

"No! If you still want to be a Runner and get yourself killed, then fine. Do it. See if I care", he says harshly.

Ouch.

He walks out, slamming the door angrily.

*****

Gally and Clint were waiting for me when I entered my shack.

Great, just great.

"If you're here to tell me how dangerous it is and that I'm making a huge mistake, don't bother", I tell them.

"We're not going to say anything like that, Lee", Gally says almost sympathetically.

I sigh. "Good, then."

"If being a Runner is what you want, then it's what you're going to be", Clint speaks up.

"Thanks Clint."

"This is getting depressing. Let's talk about something else", Gally suggests.

Something was up. Gally and Clint were smiling at each other creepily.

"Yeah", Clint agrees, a mischievous glint in his eyes. "Like what's up with Minho and you", he wiggles his eyebrows.

I groan loudly. I'm not doing this.

"Hell, no."

"C'mon Lee, you gotta tell us."

I was guessing that gossip was the only source of entertainment in the Glade.

"I'm not doing this with you guys", I declare.

"Fine, then", Clint huffs.

"Too bad", Gally shrugs innocently. "Guess we'll have to just go and ask Newt."

This is blackmail.

"No!", they look at me, feigning innocence. "Stop. Please don't tell Newt."

"Why?", Gally asks.

Are you kidding me?

I give him a deadpanned look.

"So...", Clint says, and then grins. "You were saying?"

*****

AN ETERNITY AND AN SEVERAL SQUEALS LATER...

I'm not even kidding. Clint squealed. SQUEALED.

Everyone's so hung up over me wanting to be a Runner, that they forgot to prioritize.

Mental health, is important, too, people.

I shoo Clint and Gally out of my shack after making them pinky promise that they wouldn't tell Newt.

If they did, I threatened to chop their pinkies off, which horrified Clint, more than it was supposed to.

Again, mental health is a priority, people.

I decide that it's time to talk to Minho, knowing that he would have cooled off by now.

I open the door without even knocking. Minho looked at me and sighed. "Em, I-"

"Just here me out, okay?", I plead.

"Okay."

"It's what I want, Min. If I told you to stop being a Runner because I was worried about what would happen, would you do it?"

"No, but-"

"Then why is it any different for me?", I ask patiently.

He groans, burying his face in his hands. "You're right, okay? I'm sorry. It was just too sudden. It's just that things have changed in the maze. It seems... deadlier. Alex was stung so close to the Doors. A Griever almost entered the Glade. Things are changing, Em, and not for the good. It's like they're looking for something. Someone. The Griever that stung Alex left him like it realized that he wasn't what it was looking for. At least that's what Alex told us. If you still want to be a Runner, then I'll tell Alby myself. Whatever you want."

"Thanks."

He opens his arms, which I gladly walk into.

"But hey, if a Griever chases me, I'll have to run faster than only one person, and lucky for me, I can run faster than you", I joke.

Minho laughs. "Actually, good idea", he muses. "You're going to stick with me in the maze."

I sigh.

Here we go again.