CH19: Better At Healing Than The Apollo Cabin

Minho p.o.v

I choke and hastily inform Newt about his misconception. Relief plain on his face, Newt leaves to get ready to run the maze.

All of us finish up and leave. I head straight to the showers.

I enter my shack, which I unfortunately share with Alex.

I rummage around for my watch. I can't run the maze without it.

Time is very important for us runners. Even being a second late matters. If you don't make it before the doors close, then you die.

I'm being very blunt here.

I give up looking for my watch and grab a shirt to put on.

At that very moment the door opens, and I see Millie.

She's not really looking at me. Her eyes are trained on her shoe that seems to have mud on it.

So, she's a neat freak. My shack wouldn't seem be very pleasant to her then.

She looks up and freezes. Her eyes widen and she slaps her hand over her eyes.

She probably noticed that I was half naked.

A little squeak escapes her mouth. "Minho!"

"Millie!", I mock

She groans. I walk over and pry her hands away from her face. I smirk down at her.

"What's wrong?", I ask.

"N-nothing. I should g-go", she says and turns to leave.

"Are you sure?", I stop her.

Suddenly I'm very aware of our close proximity. I'd do anything to close the remaining distance.

We just stare at each other until she blinks, willing herself to look away.

"Yeah, yeah, I'm sure", says and walks away, making me miss her warmth close to my body.

"And put some clothes on!", she yells over her shoulder.

I chuckle to myself, leaning against the door frame, watching her retreating figure. There's something about her that's mesmerizing.

I sigh. I guess Alex was right after all...

Millie p.o.v

Stupid, stupid Millie! What was I thinking?

I can't understand what is happening to me. My heart seems to be training for a marathon.

I shake off all my thoughts and head towards the medjacks' workstation.

"Clint!", I called out.

His head poked through the window. He grinned widely and waved. "Hey, Millie. What are you doing here?"

Is he serious?

"Uh, I'm starting work as a medjack today?", I remind him, rolling my eyes.

Of course, he forgot. That was the most Clint-like thing ever.

"Oh, oh, okay, yeah hold on a sec!", he shouts from inside.

I grimaced as I heard various noises coming from inside. It sounded like all the metal in the room was crashing down onto the hard floor.

"Uh, you know what, Clint?", I yell so he can hear me. "I think I'll just come back later."

The door suddenly bursts open and Clint tumbles out, staggering before he regains his composure.

"No! No, come in", he tilts his head, motioning me to enter.

I give him a small smile.

I look around the place. It looks just like I imagined it. A wooden board was pushed off to the end of the room. It was probably used for the wounded to lie down on while they were being treated. As I expected, various containers lay sprawled across, a result of Clint's little accident.

"So", Clint says, rubbing his hands together dramatically. "Let's begin"

I spent the rest of the morning through afternoon with Clint. He taught me how to wrap basic bandages and clean wounds.

There's a knock on the door and Ben pokes his head inside with a sheepish expression.

I gasp looking at the long cut on the side of his face.

"Ben! What did you get yourself into?", I question, rushing over and taking his face in my hands to examine it.

"Building accident", he scratches the back of his neck.

I sigh. "Come on, Clint will help you"

"No, I will not", Clit declares. "You will"

I feel tentative at first but then agree reluctantly.

Ben hops onto the table, so we're at the same level. His eyes meet mine steadily and he gives me a small smile. He came up in the box just a day ago, so why does it feel like I've known him forever? I was comfortable around him. He felt a worthy friend.

He winces as I start cleaning to the wound. I make a move to take my hand back, but he grips it firmly, telling me to proceed.

After it's done, I ask Clint if I did it correctly.

Clint whistled under his breath. "That's perfect", he compliments.

I beam at him.

*****

It's almost dark and the runners run one-by-one into the Glade.

I walk into the deadheads again. This time, not to avoid Newt, but because the place kind of did grow on me. It was also Minho and my hangout place.

I hear a crunch behind me, as though someone stepped on a bed of dry leaves.

I turn around eagerly, hoping that it's Minho, but to my slight disappointment, it was Alex.

I smiled at him, but he didn't smile back.

His back was unnaturally straight, and his body tense. I almost asked him what was wrong until I finally saw it. His expression was vacant, but his eyes were filled with a sort of unexplained madness. Green and purple lines spread all across his forearm from a single puncture.

He was stung.

"Alex?", I ask cautiously.

Without a warning he leaped at me, his face devoid of any mercy, sympathy or recognition.

_________________________________

BTW, I decided that this book is only going to have 30 chapters, give or take.

Vote and Comment <3

Lots of Love,

-Everleigh