Chapter Thirteen

David's P.O.V.

I sit in the driver's seat of my Tesla, speeding through the streets towards the freeway. Scott is beside me, but he isn't looking at you. You could literally cut the tension between us with a knife.

"Look, Scott..."

"Just drive, David," Scott says. I sigh focus on the road.

The ride is silent as we drive through the neighbourhood streets. Scott suddenly perks up, pointing out the window.

"Wait, what is that?" He says.

"What?" I look where he's pointing. I see a car flipped on its side in a ditch near the road. "Oh, jeez," You say as we come closer to it.

"David, pull over!" Scott shouts, "That's Y/N!"

"No, it's not, she has a different car," You say.

"I'm pretty sure I know Y/N's blue Mazda license plate M11 02H with band-aid and pineapple stickers on the back, David," Scott responds. "And that's it." I look to Scott, his eyes staring back to you. His jaw is clenched tight. I pull over behind the car and park mine. We both get out of the car and make our way towards the flipped one. There is broken glass all over the ground, crunching under our feet as we approach the vehicle. I turn on the flashlight on my phone and shine it at the car. As soon as I do, I see the band-aid stickers I know all too well.

"Oh, my God, Y/N!" Scott shouts. Scott runs towards the driver's side of the car. I follow behind him. The roof is caved in and destroyed. Scott and I look in, seeing Y/N's knocked out, bloody body in the front seat. Her airbag is deployed, and it seems her head smashed through the window. I look down towards her stomach, seeing a giant piece of glass sticking out of her torso, blood slowly seeping into her clothes.

"Call 911," Scott says, his breathing ragged. I step away and pull out my phone, dialing 911. It rings continuously for a few moments.

"C'mon... c'mon..." I mutter, waiting for someone, anyone to answer. Scott tries to open Y/N's door, but it is locked.

"Come on!" He shouts, still trying to open the door.

"911, what's your emergency?" The dispatcher says.

"Hi!" You say, turning away from Scott, "yes, my... my friend Y/N was in an accident, she..." I look back at Scott to see him reaching into Y/N's car.

"Scott! What the fuck are you doing?" I shout, running back over to him.

"Talk to them, David!" Scott says.

"Um, uh... I don't know what happened, but we just found her car flipped over in a ditch." Scott unlocks Y/N's door and opens it. He unbuckles her belt and pulls her out of the car.

"Okay, sir, can you tell me your location?" The dispatcher says.

"Uh..." I look around, "we are on the corner of Baskerville Lane and Vernon Street," You respond.

"Okay, is your friend alive? Is she breathing?"

"Scott, is she alive?" I ask. When I look back at Scott, he is on the ground, holding Y/N's head in his lap. He sniffles loudly and puts his ear over her nose and mouth to hear if she's breathing.

"She's-- she's breathing," He responds. I drop on my knees beside him. "Tell them to hurry, David," Scott looks up to you. His eyes are bloodshot with tears staining his cheeks. "I can't lose her... we can't lose her, David," Scott says. For a moment, I am speechless. Y/N's mortality finally hits me and I realize, I could permanently lose her here. The last she'd ever know me would be as the asshole who ruined her reputation and got her fired. I can't lose her like this... I can't let Scott lose her like this. He needs her; she needs him.