Doctor of My Word (Bones McCoy x Reader) [Request!]

*Requested on Tumblr :)*

To almost everyone on the Enterprise, it was totally and utterly obvious that you were pining after the one and only Doctor Leonard McCoy. Everyone also found it glaringly obvious the CMO was pining right back.

You worked on the bridge while Leonard worked down in Medbay, but you saw each other often on the bridge since you were both close with Jim. People were constantly throwing knowing glances your way as you both shamelessly flirted with one another, though it only added to the unresolved tension between you.

Some threw around the notion that maybe you and the doctor were soulmates, but it was rare that anyone was able to find theirs. Most people ignored or gave up on the idea that soulmates were real and decided to just let things play out instead of searching.

Your parents, for example, weren't soulmates, but they were still happy together and raised you well. However, your grandparents were. When you were young you were fascinated by the idea of having the perfect match made for you and you would often press one of your hands on your grandparents' hearts and feel them beat in perfect sync. Your grandmother would tell you bedtime stories about how she met your grandfather and their first date, as well as the day she finally started being able to hear his heartbeat in the back of her mind. She told you how it became a calming lullaby for her, and it made her feel safe.

For a long time, you were obsessed with finding your soulmate, but that obsession had quieted back down to mild curiosity. By the time you reached your early twenties, you had accepted that you were probably never going to find your other half after years of searching. You weren't opposed to the idea of soulmates like others could be, if you found yours you would be beyond happy, but you were willing to settle down with anyone as long as you both were okay with it.

Leonard, however, couldn't remember the last time he actually believed the tale was true. When he married Jocelyn, he knew after the first time they held hands that they weren't soulmates. He tried so hard to make it work, but in then end soulmates won. She ended up finding her other half a few years after Joanna was born and left him. He had given up on love altogether when she did.

He had tried- he really did- to keep up that mentality once you walked aboard the Enterprise, but he found that increasingly more difficult as he got to know you.

"Leonard!"

A smile instantly formed on his lips as you jogged towards him.

"You ready for lunch?" he asked, tucking his PADD under his arm.

You nodded, falling into step with him. "Yep!"

When your friends asked you about your feelings for the doctor, you never really knew how to answer. It started as a general safe feeling when you were around him, a strange sense of calm and comfort from the moment you laid eyes on him. You had never felt that with anyone before and you were instantly attracted to him. You thought that maybe it was just a little crush and it would fade away after a while, but if anything it started picking up the pace.

You didn't want to think about what it meant.

The day went by just how you thought it would, boringly. You didn't see Leonard for the rest of your shift, making you frown. You usually got to see him multiple times throughout the day. Around the end of your shift, your best friend [b/f/n] wandered onto the bridge.

"Hey [y/n]!"

You smiled as she approached you. "What's up?"

"Nothing much," she replied. "My shift just finished. Do you want to hang out tonight? Have a few drinks?"