Below Freezing (Chekov x Reader)

*Requested on Tumblr :)*

You were late and you couldn't believe it. It was your first away mission on the Enterprise and you were running so late, all because you couldn't find your stupid botany kit in your lab. Your boots thudded rhythmically down the white halls, dodging people left and right, barely muttering a quick "'scuse me'" as a cacophony of 'Hey's and 'Watch it's' followed behind you.

You nearly collapsed in relief as you rounded the corner and the transporter doors came into view. You slowed to a stop as you burst through them, huffing and out of breath.

"Ensign!' Kirk greeted, walking over to you. "Ready for your first mission?"

You nodded enthusiastically, trying to steady your breathing. "Yes, sir."

He opened his mouth to say something, but was interrupted by someone else crashing through the door. You weren't the only one who was late.

"дерьмо (shit)," he gasped. "I'm so sorry keptin, I-"

"It's fine, Chekov," the captain hushed him, grabbing two large parkas folded neatly from a nearby console. "You two are going to want these."

He pushed one bundle in your arms and the other in Pavel's. You sent Jim a quizzical look.

"The planet's temperatures drop below freezing once the sun goes down. We're hoping the mission will be finished before then but better safe than sorry," he explained, reading through the mission requirements on a padd. You nodded.

You quickly glanced around the room, realizing that you were still missing a member of your team. "Captain, where's Ensign Faust?"

Jim looked up. "Oh, he called in sick unexpectedly last night. It's just the two of you today."

You stiffened. You noticed Chekov freeze next to you as well. You started panicking. You were terrified. Not of Pavel, you had a crush on the ensign for a while, but of being alone with him. You had only interacted in group settings, always surrounded by a comfortable amount of friends where the threat of possible embarrassment was very low. Now that it was just the two of you, failure was nearly imminent. Before you could figure out how to get out of the mission, Jim looked up from the padd and motioned towards the transporter.

"Alright, you guys are cleared. Good luck," he started walking out of the room. It was your last chance to protest, but something held you back. You mumbled a thanks and moved towards the transporter pad, unease and despair bubbling up in your stomach.

"Energize."

Oh, no no no. дерьмо. He was internally screaming, cursing his luck to the high heavens. He knew, oh god, he knew he was going to make a fool of himself within the next hour. He was terrified. Not of you, he had a crush on you for months, but of slipping up in front of you. He had only talked with you in group settings, a close friend always nearby for emotional support, but now he was going to be alone. Alone with you. He wasn't sure he was going to be able to even function.

The narrow window of escape he saw as Kirk left the room was missed as a million thoughts zig-zagged through his brain and before he knew it he was standing on the face of the white planet next to you. The climate was mild, leaving him wondering how they were going to need such heavy coats.

"Don't forget your goggles, Pav," your sweet voice said softly, causing his heart to drop suddenly.

"R-right," he stuttered, digging through the pockets of the large coat and pulling out the protective glasses. He tugged them on, the blinding terrain easing into a muted grey landscape. It was breathtaking nonetheless. "Wow."