Chapter 23

Toby's Point of View

"Nat's mad," I stated as I took a seat across from Chloe and Nina. They looked shocked since besides brief hellos in the hallways, talking between us was rare.

"I bet she is, I'd be pissed if you brought some old fling to a special date."

"Can we not talk about Nyla like that? She's just a friend who fell on some hard luck?"

Chloe groaned, "men and your double standards? If Nat would have brought a guy, you'd be half - way up the wall. Even if he was 'just a friend'."

"That's not true, I'd be mad at first but I'd get over it. I trust Nat, why can't she trust me?"

"Because before you were 'loyal' you were a man whore. She has the right to be worried. Natalie has had only like one boyfriend and that was in eighth grade."

I groaned. Of course they were going to take Natalie's side in this. Women are always going to side together and I realized how pointless it was to talk to them. I got up and walked out of the doors of the cafeteria and school and got into my car. I figured I'd see the only person who understood the situation between Nyla and I and that was Nyla.

Her house wasn't far from the school and relatively close to mine. It was nice to have Nyla back in town even though things were so rough for her right now. Her parents had gotten a divorce and she was forced to move here with her father who wasn't exactly easy to live with. He wasn't abusive, but he was always distant.

I parked in Nyla's garage still thinking about the conversation I had with Nat. I wanted her trust more than anything, I wanted her to know that if I was around other women I wouldn't try anything. I knocked on Nyla's door and it didn't take her long to appear.

"Toby! It's so good to see you!"

"We saw each other yesterday Ny."

"But we couldn't really talk, your girlfriend was giving me the evil eye."

"Ha, yep that's Nat."

"She seems clingy Toby and the last thing you need in your life is someone to watch your every move. Especially with your mom and everything."

"Nat is cool though, she isn't clingy at all. She cares about my well being and me being with other women."

Nyla scoffed, "what happened to Mr. I don't need a girlfriend?"

"I don't need a girlfriend, I want one. Natalie is something special, she isn't like every other girl. I don't like the way you're talking about her Ny."

"I'm sorry Toby, I just don't want you getting caught up in anything. She seems like the type to weigh you down with child support."

"Because she's black?"

"Toby you know her type. She isn't like me and you, she doesn't have values or morals. You know how all those people are. Slack now and then live off America for the rest of their lives."

"You know what? I thought you were different Nyla. I thought you were a friend not the racist asshole I'm seeing right now. Natalie is the most beautiful, caring, kind-spirited, person I know. Nat does have a future, she's going to college. She's going to be something and all you will ever do it whore your body off to the lowest of the low."

I turned to walk away, but Nyla grabbed my shoulder.

"I wasn't trying to make you mad Toby, I'm just saying. I'm sorry if you offend you and her, I just wanted to make sure you're not in over your head."

I signed, "I didn't meant to go off. I'm sorry Nyla."

"You wanna come inside and play games and watch movies like old times?"

"Like old times? In old times we wouldn't just be playing video games and watching movies?"

"I promise to keep it innocent since you're a family man now," Nyla teased.

I laughed, "oh really? This 'family man' is about to whip you butt in Call of Duty™."

"Bring it on."

Author's Note

What is wrong with Toby's head? She insults the women you're 'falling in love with', says sorry once, and all is forgiven? I honestly don't know what to say about Mr. King and I have a strong feeling Nat won't like this? What do you guys think? Is Noby/Toatlie crumbling? Vote, follow, and as always leave your opinions in the comment section. Thank you.