Night Twenty.

“Come with me,” Nat said, grabbing my elbow and directing us toward his table. My body ached from the strenuous day. 

After having rejected Nat, he shut down completely. The tension rose again, but I felt no pity. He was still ignorant to why I had originally been upset with him and showed no point to understand. Nat’s work pace improved greatly. I found myself struggling more than usual to keep up with the brisk pace. 

My body felt as exhausted as it had on the first day here. 

It was now dinner time. 

My eyes moved down to the fingers curled around my arm and bit my lip. “I’m just going to find a place along the wall.”

Nat raised an eyebrow humorlessly. “We’re going to sit at my table so you can tell them your plan.”

I scowled irritably. “If you think my plan is just going to get rejected, then I’m not going to waste anyone’s time.”

“Eva, don’t be like that.” He gave me a tug in the direction of his table. “Let’s just get this over with. Who knows, maybe you’re plan isn’t that bad”

“Stop pulling me!” 

Nat’s eyes narrowed. He shifted his tray in his other hand for a better grip before harshly tugging me to him. I stumbled into his chest, spilling my water. Nat used my surprise to his advantage as he roughly pulled me with him to his table. 

“Are you kidding me?” I hissed.

Nat ignored me. 

I followed along begrudgingly against my will. As the familiar faces appeared, I noticed that something was off. The usual, conceited atmosphere surrounding the table had disappeared. The men leaned forward, lips moving quickly in hushed voices.  

Nat noticed a moment after me. His step faltered slightly as he took in the change of mood with his friends. He cast me a side glance of confusion, but proceeded to lead the way over nonetheless. I masked my curiosity with irritation. 

The men parted when they saw the two of us approach, providing room for us to slide in. A few eyes glanced my way, but I noticed Nat shake his head out of the corner of my eye. Apparently, I was accepted even under these abnormal circumstances. 

“What’s going on?” Nat asked, using English for my benefit. 

A dark-skinned man glanced my way before speaking, “Chi has been captured.”

Nat’s eyebrows rose in surprise. “What? By who?”

“The Gliesans, who else?” A Hispanic man next to me snapped. He let out a string of curse words in another language. Nat and he had gotten into an argument a few days ago when I had sat here. My impression of him wasn’t a positive one. 

Nat shot him a dirty look before asking another round of questions. “What happened? How did they catch him? What did he do?”

The man who had spoken originally calmed explained the situation. “Apparently, Chi and his group were planning to break out a few of those in Isolation. He was working in the Stripping room speaking in Hindi. It was a safe bet. The bell had just rang, and you know how mostly white girls are Strippers. Chi thought it was safe. Someone overheard. Some ratted him out.”

His voice cracked on the last word. The man took a moment to swallow and calm himself down. 

“There were sixteen of those bastards waiting for them at Isolation.”

I gasped, my heartbeat accelerating. I hadn’t known Chi personally, but it wasn’t hard to imagine the fear they must’ve experienced at the sight of those monsters waiting in such large numbers for them to arrive.