Day One.

I stood in front of cabin 1666.

            The sun beat down on the back of my neck painfully. I could feel drops of sweat trail down my body due to the heat. Behind me, I could hear the day laborers working away in the fields only a few yards away.

            The cabin looked exactly like all the other cabins I had passed during the ride here. All cabins were large enough to accommodate roughly ten people, but I had a feeling there were more crammed in there. They looked to be made out of the alien substitute for brick with a wooden door in the front. The roof was flat. Painted in blue on the door was the number of the cabin three different ways.

            Arabic numerals topped it, followed by Latin, and unary.

            I licked my tongue over my dry lips slowly.

            My hands clutched a packet written in English that reiterated all the rules. I had been given it after the testing had finished and sent off to my cabin.

            Taking a deep breath, I walked up the steps that lead to the door of the cabin. I placed my palm on the wood of the door, pushing slowly. It opened with ease, falling to the opposite side.

            It was empty.

            I took a step in, closing the door behind me.

            Six sets of bunk beds boarded all the walls. A few of the beds were unmade while others were neatly tucked in. Next to each bunk bed were two boxes. I glanced down at the packet in my hands.

            No other bed looked like it had a packet, but I didn’t know what the boxes were. They appeared to be almost safes with a lid. A few had dents in them, but most of the boxes seemed unharmed.

            The door opened behind me, startling me.

            I whirled around with wide eyes.

            Sweaty, exhausted people poured into the cabin, moving around me as if I didn’t exist. I was shoved aside roughly a few times, but frozen in shock, I made no noise. I turned back to see all the new people had found a bed. They slumped on it, all in unison.

            “Do you have to stand in the way?” A voice asked, the owner shoving me to the side. I turned my head to see who had spoken to me.

            A boy roughly a few years older than me walked past, falling onto the bottom bunk of the one farthest from the door. He tucked a hand behind his head, taking a deep breath. Black hair covered his eyes, falling messily into his face. His body was soaked in a layer of sweat. Droplets fell from the side of his head.

            “I’m sorry.” I mumbled softly.

            I got no response from him.

            My eyes moved around the room slowly. There were a total of twelve people crammed into this cabin, including myself. The eleven that had just entered all wore matching outfits. Gray shirts matched with gray pants, all stained from the sweat of the slaves’ bodies. All of them had the sleeves of their shirts and the legs of their pants rolled up. A few workers’ skin was tinted red from the sun outside.

            All of the others were very tan.

            I noticed that on every person’s left breast, there was a number stitched into their clothing. Each was different to the person.