Day Two.

A shrill ringing sounded, awakening the cabin the next day. All around me, groans started up as people sat up, getting out of their bed.

            I forced my eyes open, sitting up on my bunk. I climbed slowly down the side, walking over to my small locker. I watched as the boy below me, 94-2, opened his on the right, grabbing clothes very similar to the ones he had worn when I first saw him. I moved over to my locker, grabbing the same ones.

            I noticed how everyone was already stripping and changing into those clothes. Most faced their bunks, dressing quickly. My eyes caught Cassandra’s, who smiled gently as she pulled her shirt over her head.

            I quickly averted my eyes, changing into my own pair of work clothes. The others bundled their night closes together, dropping them off in a bucket by the door. I followed in their actions, unsure of why I was doing anything.

            Breakfast went much like dinner had the night before.

            I sat alone in the same spot I had earlier, eating from food that didn’t look much different than what they served last time. All around me conversation buzzed. I kept to myself silently. This time I didn’t wait for Cassandra to finish her meal before I dropped off the dishes.

            As I walked out, a flow of people was steadily streaming towards opposite direction of the cabins. I fell into pace with those around me and watched intently on what they were doing. A few picked up hoes while others picked up a metallic machine that looked far too heavy.

            “Excuse me,” I said to the man next to me, resting a hand on his shoulder gently. He looked down at me in disgust, shrugging my hand off of his shoulder.

            “Halt dein Mund, Mädchen.” He snarled in German. My eyes widened at the harshness in his voice.

            I had taken a few years of German before the aliens had started to arrive on Earth. My mind pulled up the translation in my head to be a smile, “Shut your mouth.”

            I struggled to find a response to him, to explain to him that I was confused on what to do, “Ich bin… verwirrt. Was soll ich machen?”

            “Laufen.” He had ordered me to walk.

            I closed my mouth, figuring that was the most I was going to get out of him. The flow of people moved on, the sound of feet marching continued. My eyes moved around the crowd as I searched for anyone that looked familiar. But I knew the chances of me finding someone I recognized were small.

            A hand clamped over my upper arm, pulling me away from the man that had previously just yelled at me.

            I turned over to the owner of the hand, surprise flooding through me to see the boy who slept below me.

            I vaguely recalled his number being 94-2.

            “What’re you—”

            “Shh.” He hissed in a hushed voice. I glanced at him with wide eyes as he led us down the crowd. His grip never loosened on my arm. “You can’t talk now. Get to the fields and follow me. Don’t speak a word until we get back to the cabin.”

            He barely moved his lips. His words were hard to decipher, taking me a few minutes. But I chose not to respond to him. 94-2 kept his hand on my arm as we walked towards the fields quickly.