Day Eleven.

“What are you doing?” Jacob asked as we walked to breakfast the next day. He kept his voice low. We hadn’t arrived at the Mess hall, which meant we still weren’t allowed to talk. All around us couples whispered in hushed voices.

                “What are you talking about?” I kept my eyes on the ground as we walked, letting him lead the way there.

                “You’re playing a dangerous game, Eva.”

                “I’m not playing any games.”

                “What’s this thing you’re doing with Nat?” He pushed, “Talking to Cassandra and Red? Are you serious?”

                “They welcomed me.” I shrugged casually, “I had been blowing them off for Nat’s cold attitude. They were my friends first; I figured I needed to rekindle our friendship.”

                Jacob rolled his eyes, “No you didn’t. I know why you’re doing this, and trust me; it’s not going to work like you want.”

                “I don’t have an ulterior motive.”

                He sighed, growing frustrated. The Mess hall came into view with the line already extending out of it.

                “Just… Please don’t tell those two of anything we’re doing.” He said softly.

                “Doing what?”

                “The… meetings and what not.”

                “Why?”

                He bit his lip, “They’re not trustworthy. A lot of people here aren’t. They’re more concerned for their own safety than humanity as a whole.”
                I could believe that.

                “Don’t worry. Even if I ever did, I don’t know enough to be of any use.”

                He raised an eyebrow, “I beg to differ. I think you know more about this than you even realize you do.”

                I opened my lips to protest when he cut me off.

                “I’ve noticed your new seat.”

                My face lit up. “It’s not my new seat—”

                “Well, I’m assuming not anymore now that you’ve angered the beast.” He gave me a knowing look before continuing, “But those guys are a force to be reckoned with. I’ve known Nat for as long as I’ve been here, and he’s never offered me to sit there. Nor Eddie, for that matter.”

                I shrugged, “That doesn’t mean anything.”

                “Whatever.”

                We got into the back of the line. Jacob seemed to be growing frustrated with me, and I could feel a tension rising between us.

                After a few minutes, he sighed, rubbing his eyes. “Can you do me a favor, Eva?”

                “Yeah, what?”

                “Please just…” He shook his head slightly, “Please don’t try to piss off Nat. I don’t know what’s going on between you two, or why you would think you have to, but the angrier he is, the worse off we are.”